lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Hoover
Not Yet Wild

Default BBB slow and batteries looses power

Morning. I have a 6 or 7 years old BBB Classic, 4wd and 48 volt. I had the batteries checked and they are all charging to full power and are from Nov 2014.
When I drive it, the battery power goes down 2-3 bars within 20 minutes and there is very little speed. It still has plenty of torque though. I have not been able to get to dealer to check controller. I had a lot of red clay under it last week and am wondering if I need to pull the brakes off to clean them out as if the mud is restricting the axles and the machine is fighting itself.

The brakes don't work as well as before.

It is currently at the camp and I did not get controller numbers etc.

Up until two weeks ago we could go all day and still have half the battery power showing.

Thanks in advance.

Hoove
Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: BBB slow and batteries looses power

The bar graph meters are the very inaccurate. We all use digital LED type meters to monitor battery use and condition. Mud in the brakes could be causing excessive drag, does the cart roll easy in Neutral? If no the mud could be a problem. Install an inexpensive digital meter and watch the pack under load. If it is dropping a value greater than 1 battery you may have a battery pack problem.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Like Scotty said a volt meter to test the pack under load will tell you a lot.

I was bacon hunting in my big cart (formerly a BBB) a few weeks ago. There were four of us on the cart with a big cooler and lots of gear. The sticky clay/mud was so bad I had depleted my 72 volt pack in less than 5 miles. I normally get close to 30 miles out of a full charge. I seriously thought my pack or at least one battery was dead or dying.

After charging and cleaning off all the mud it was back to normal. Cleaning took an hour and a half with a pressure washer.

The next trip out to the same location in the same conditions I used some dollar store non-stick cooking spray all over the tires, axles, wheel wells and the bottom of the cart. I still didn't get my normal range but it did get use everywhere we needed, and the clean up was a lot faster.

So it could just be the mud.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
Hoover
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty and Rev! I hope the mud is all it is. I will work on it.

Any recommendation for a digital meter? Do I just slap it on to the dash somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
fishsticker
Gone Wild

Mine is mounted here. Less than 10$ on Amazon

fishsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hoover, ScottyB has a couple of good ones at Cartsunlimited.net. I have one of his and it is very accurate. All of his stuff comes with very good instructions.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts