lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
Firesapple
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Power Wise Charger Trips Breaker

Sorry people but here is another Power Wise Charger issue thread cause I have not been able to find an answer.

So I have a Power Wise 36volt charger (see pic) that was perfectly working before it fell off the table and stopped working. I went into YouTube, there I was able to find a video that trouble shot most of the parts with a volt meter. But everything tested the right way. So I started replacing one part at a time to rule out the issue. So far I have replaced all these parts:

1. Control Board
2. Fuse
3. Both Diodes
4. Transformer (very expensive).

Only part left to replace is the capacitor which I ordered today.

After all this, the charger continues to trip the 15amp breaker at the panel as soon as I plug it into the outlet (NOT the golf cart itself). And yes, I did try different outlets and they all trip the breaker.

/Users/iznagafamily/Downloads/File_000.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000.jpg (19.6 KB, 0 views)
Firesapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Power Wise Charger Trips Breaker

Did ya try checking or replacing the power cord itself? If it fell on its own AC cord it could be messed up on the inside without showing anything on the outer cover...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Can you return any of that stuff? I realize that the diodes and fuse are nothing but the control board and transformer cost a few bucks. You may be better off punting and just getting a new charger.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since the PW 28115 charger trips the wall outlet's breaker when it is not plugged into cart, the problem is within the AC power cord, or how the AC power cord is now connected to the control board, or how the control board is now mounted in the chassis.

The black wire in the AC power cord is somehow touching either the white or green wire.

If returning the transformer and control board for a refund is possible, doing so and getting a DPI Accusense charger is a good idea.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
... If returning the transformer and control board for a refund is possible, doing so and getting a DPI Accusense charger is a good idea.
Be willing to bet that the place that sold the parts has a no refund on electrical parts...
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Be willing to bet that the place that sold the parts has a no refund on electrical parts...
I'll pass on covering that bet.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'll pass on covering that bet.
Oh come on!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Firesapple
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Since the PW 28115 charger trips the wall outlet's breaker when it is not plugged into cart, the problem is within the AC power cord, or how the AC power cord is now connected to the control board, or how the control board is now mounted in the chassis.

The black wire in the AC power cord is somehow touching either the white or green wire.

If returning the transformer and control board for a refund is possible, doing so and getting a DPI Accusense charger is a good idea.

I can sell the transformer for double what I paid for it (I bought it dirt cheap), and I can probably sell the board almost for the same of what I paid for...... so this is not an issue for me.

I did order a new AC power cord and a new capacitor from Amazon that I can easily return without issues either. But I did check continuity on the AC cord with a digital meter and it tested OK.

As far as the wires being connected the proper way or touching anything, I double & triple checked everything. The board is secured as well as the ground (green) wire.
Firesapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When you checked the AC power cord for continuity, did you also check for continuity between the three wires?

In a troubleshooting nutshell, the relay on the control board electrically isolates the AC power cord from the rest of the charger, so if the relay's contacts are not closed, all you are effectively plugging into the AC wall outlet is the AC power cord.
Therefore, the AC power cord is either bad or somehow miswired.

On the other hand, that conclusion assumes the AC circuit breaker is good.

In you first post you stated "And yes, I did try different outlets and they all trip the breaker."

With "outlets" being plural and "breaker" being singular, do you mean all the different outlets you tried were on the same breaker?
If so, try plugging charger into an outlet on a different breaker to verify the problem is in the charger rather than the house wiring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO