lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need gears for a Dana H-12 axle

if yours is the H 12 i think the problem is the 12 ft lbs of torque on the input [if i read it right] your engine is twisting alot more than that. i think mikes right, in the end your better off spending the time and money installing something else.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
JeepTwins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
if yours is the H 12 i think the problem is the 12 ft lbs of torque on the input [if i read it right] your engine is twisting alot more than that. i think mikes right, in the end your better off spending the time and money installing something else.
Anyone have recomendations for products/expense? I don't care at first if one comes in raw steel and we'd have to go back for powdercoating/chroming (if ever). Thanks guys.
JeepTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

there are many choices out there, i have used and greatly abused alot of the ez go trans axles! and have had good luck with them. 100hp snowmobile and bike engines and the only real weak link are stripping the hubs! plus you have a good choice of gear ratios. plenty of parts for them and most likely your brake cables will fit, the housing is aluminum so if you want to polish the case and powder coat the tubes you can end up with look that you got going on with the old one.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
JeepTwins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Pizzamaker, how much did the one in the pic set you back?
JeepTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think you should look at a golf cart transmission! With the size of tires AND the monsterous wheels / wheel spacers, that cart is going to load the axle too much. I was thinking something like the older Taylor Dunn style axle (9" Ford rear end), or something like that. How long did the cart operate before the problem started? I know that I was initially impressed with the overall picture(s) of this unit, but now am wondering on the longevity of the cart?

My thought would be to somewhat re-engineer the ENTIRE suspension system, LOWER the cart back down about 24" and put on some more managable wheels. That MAY be a cheaper alternative that to build a new rear axle assembly?

Seems this unit is all SHOW and no GO? Unfortunate, but true...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTwins View Post
Pizzamaker, how much did the one in the pic set you back?
i sold this axle a few months ago for 250.00
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
shawn.m
Gone Wild

I would buy a replacement spider diff bolt it back together and sell it. chalk it up to experience.
The cost to re engineer this to the point that it would be trail worth would not be worth it if you are going to sell it in the end.
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.m View Post
I would buy a replacement spider diff bolt it back together and sell it. chalk it up to experience.
The cost to re engineer this to the point that it would be trail worth would not be worth it if you are going to sell it in the end.

I'd be beatin the bushes at every cart shop around lookin for a used axle to cannibalize for parts.. Even if you have to buy a complete dead cart just to get an axle, you'll be money ahead over re-engineering the whole suspension..

That's the only way to get out of this deal without paying an exorbitant amount of "stupid tax"...
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

i don't think it was the intent of the builder for that cart to be used off road, [it's a great looking machine] just not built to do what it looks like it would do, swap out the rearend and keep it on the street.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #20
shawn.m
Gone Wild

buy a whole electric cart for $300
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/1020141215.html
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO