lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
jondrew
Not Yet Wild

Default Suspension scraping inside of wheel

Still learning about my 2006 Precedent. I had some custom lighting put in and when I got the cart back the front right wheel was making a loud scraping noise. I looked at the inside of the wheel and could see the suspension where the leaf spring attaches was contacting the inside of the wheel. See arrow in picture below

When I jacked the cart up and took the weight off the spring I could see the suspension was no longer touching the inside of the wheel. I could see that the nut (arrow below) appeared to be loose allowing the suspension to drop when the weight was on the springs.

I took the wheel off, tightened the nut and then put the wheel back on and no more scraping.

There is no lock washer on this nut. I have no idea how tight it should be (I torqued it to about 1 grunt). I have no history on this cart. I don't know if someone had been working on the suspension and did not put all the parts back. Should there be a lock washer? How tight should the nut be torqued? Any advice would be helpful
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Suspension scraping inside of wheel

That's a dimple lock nut. It's factory and it's not supposed to have a lock washer. The dimple in the nut serves as "lock" for the nut. If it's constantly backing off, replace the nut with a new one.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
jondrew
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
That's a dimple lock nut. It's factory and it's not supposed to have a lock washer. The dimple in the nut serves as "lock" for the nut. If it's constantly backing off, replace the nut with a new one.
Thanks. I found a service manual on line. Those are the kingpin nuts and they get tightened to 70 ft-lbs.
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
crash test dummy

every time i have seen that scrape on the wheel it has been the spring bushings
Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
every time i have seen that scrape on the wheel it has been the spring bushings
Same here, can't even count how many I have done.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Spring bushings can cause it every time. I've seen that plenty myself. When I worked for the dealer we had a local golf course that evidently got a bad batch of kingpin nuts when the carts were built at the factory. Had to go out there and change them both on all 65 carts because they kept backing off and causing the spring to scrub inside the rim. Other than that one instance, I've seen it a handful of times since.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car