lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dead in the water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuggy View Post

Also, just for future reference, I wanted to add that calling it a dead short was correct. I looked it up to see if I had my terminology wrong...

Quora.com: What is the difference between a short circuit and a dead short?

"Let the standard voltage difference between any two points A and B is 150V.

If this value falls below 150V it is called short circuit (it could be any value below 150V like 110V,50V etc.), and if it becomes flat 0V it is dead short circuit."
OK, measure your pack voltage. Hopefully you have 38.2 volts. Now take a jumper cable and connect pack + to pack -, which will result in the pack voltage dropping to 0. Please video this so we can enjoy the massive explosion.

Sorry, but some of us don't have to "look it up".

You can also remove any interconnecting cable and get pack voltage of 0 volts. Is this a short circuit or an open circuit?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but trying to help you explain problems so the forum can help, and maybe keep you from getting seriously hurt, since you don't understand what any kind of short is. The definition you found is crap. Basically a short is when electricity takes a short cut from one end of the circuit to the other, partially or completely bypassing the load, which in your case, is the motor and headlights. A short that results in voltage drop, automatically means heat is generated. Ohm's Law. If your short has nearly zero resistance, that results in the maximum amout of current (Amps) passing through conductor, which in the case of a 36 volt (nominal) battery pack, will melt nearly any conductor you will find in a cart.

My neighbor was tightening his battery cables, and had his hand wrapped around the wrench, to prevent the wrench from hitting the other battery terminal, which would have caused a dead short. However, his wedding ring was touching the wrench and touched the other battery terminal, which immediately glowed red hot and melted all of his skin off under the ring in just a fraction of a second. He now has a ring of scar tissue under his ring. And that was just one battery.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
OK, measure your pack voltage. Hopefully you have 38.2 volts. Now take a jumper cable and connect pack + to pack -, which will result in the pack voltage dropping to 0. Please video this so we can enjoy the massive explosion.

Sorry, but some of us don't have to "look it up".
I have seen FNG's make a total loop out of a pack, it was quite impressive!

I would have videoed it, but if I had time for that, I might have warned them not to do it instead.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Yep. Lotsa folks also call it a F/R. The reed switch is a magnetic switch, located inside the charger port, which prevents you from driving it when the charger is plugged in. These often fail, and are eliminated by bypassing them.
There is no reed switch on a Marathon. (Not that I've ever seen, anyway)
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Just an FYI There is no reed switch on Marathon cars. That didn't become a thing until the TXTs with plastic bodies. Marathons use a two-wire SB50 plug. When a reed switch goes everything is dead, no solenoid click, no meter, no backup beeper.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have seen FNG's make a total loop out of a pack, it was quite impressive!

I would have videoed it, but if I had time for that, I might have warned them not to do it instead.
Military, huh? FNG and FOOBAR can't be spelled out on the forum. I get censored when I say I drove my buggy up and down my neighborhood lake's *** (d a m).
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Military, huh? FNG and FOOBAR can't be spelled out on the forum. I get censored when I say I drove my buggy up and down my neighborhood lake's *** (d a m).
Not too long ago there was a funny censor glitch on various boards that instead of simply starring out 'bad' words (or those it thought were bad) it would try replacing them with 'harmless' alternatives. Was all well and good except 'classic' became 'clbuttic' and so on. "teaspoon" became 'teasthingy' lol
Old 06-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

No, not military, just been around many. And the "something new guy" term is just a fitting description for some folks.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I always liked FUBAR. I ain't military either, and mispelled it the first time.

I also like how some TV channels not only bleep out or change "bad" words, they also grey out the lips, so as not to offend auditorially challenged folks.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

most of the time even TV is inconsistent. They'll bleep part of a word but not the part of the word that's the actual swear. like the 'hole' part of another word, or the 'god' part of another word.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO