lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Duck_NovaCain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT rear wheel clunk

So wife sent me a video today while I was at work of the driver’s side rear wheel making a clunking noise. I had heard some minor squeaking from that side a week or so ago and thought the wheel bearing might be going out, but this sounds totally different. I told her to park it! Just running through my head I thought lug nuts or wheel bearing, but after researching it on here, I’ve seen hubs and axle bearings mentioned as possible causes along with a few other things.

I haven’t taken a look at it yet, as I just got in from work and it’s about 11:30 here. It may be this weekend before I get into it but I was just wondering what ideas y’all had. On my phone you can tell in the video that the wheel looks like it’s wobbling some, but when I uploaded it to YouTube the resolution dropped. You can still hear the noise though.

Maybe the lug nuts just backed off some, but my luck, I highly doubt it. Haha

https://youtu.be/2RbgIycJ3JQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck_NovaCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: TXT rear wheel clunk

common problem
your hubs are stripping
see the small teeth you need new hubs

here is what you need
https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-el...brake-drum-hub

yes get 2

check your brakes too
Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Duck_NovaCain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice Crash Test Dummy! Glad they made the hubs out of softer metal than the axle.

“Yes get 2” — LOL!

I think I read somewhere to torque the castle nut to 140#. That sound correct?

Any other maintenance I need to do while I’m in there besides checking the brakes?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe the spec is 90 - 140. You torque it to 90 and see how the hole for the cotter pin lines up with the castle nut. Then you increase the torque until you can fit the pin in. The 50 ft-lb range should give enough movement for it to line up.

While you're back there you might want to replace the wheel bearings.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
crash test dummy

check your spring bushings
grease front end ball joints and bearings
pull batteries and clean rails (baking soda and water)
would not hurt to rotate tires air them up to 18lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
While you're back there you might want to replace the wheel bearings.
TXT bearings in the rear ARE IN SIDE THE AXLE TUBE AND ARE NOT EASY TO GET TO
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Duck_NovaCain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Y’all ain’t gonna believe this. Pulled the hubcap off and whaddaya know.

Pic with lug nuts off, holes on rim wallered (wollered? wallowed? - never spelled it before, only said it) out pretty good:

All because the lug nuts came loose. I pulled the wheel and got to the castle nut - which was less than finger tight with the cotter pin stuck through (I bought this cart used - I’ve had it about two weeks). Castle nut jiggled around freely, stopped only by the cotter pin. Pulled the drum and the splines looked good. No sign of strippage. Brakes looked good. Went around to the other side to check the lug nuts and they were tight. Went ahead and pulled off that wheel to check the castle nut - same story, freely jiggling. Pulled that drum and two small chips on the splines (pictured) but that’s it. I think I’ll keep running it.

Put everything back together and torqued both my castle nuts down. Just gotta get another wheel at work tomorrow and I think I’ll be set. Thanks for all the help. Sorry I didn’t know it was just my lug nuts. It was almost midnight when I got in last night and didn’t have any time to look at it myself until tonight.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
crash test dummy

holy crap
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
Duck_NovaCain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know. Couldn’t have been held on by more than a thread or two. My wife had hopped on the road for a few seconds to get to the next dirt path down when it started, I’m glad she parked it when she did - immediately. We live in a rural area so the roads aren’t extremely busy, but still. I’m glad it didn’t come off.

Threads on the lug bolts are a tiny bit boogered but I think they’ll clean up pretty easy with a die - or with a 200 pound gorilla cinching down the lug nuts on a new wheel. Lol. If not, new hub. Nothing I wasn’t already planning for.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Duck_NovaCain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

VanillaExtract, is it odd that one side lined up at 119# but the other wouldn’t line up except at around 85#? Between 90# and 130# the raised portion of the castle nut just moved closer and closer to the center of the hole.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
swm63
Gone Wild

I personally would replace any studs with worn threads. Spinning them tight may finish off what's been damaged, and then you've got a lug nut that won't come back off. That's an even worse problem...
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO