lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
Wrongway2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Grinding noise from rear of cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have told a couple people that had unrealistic expectations for their 20 year old used-cart. "let's take all the doors & windows off your Lexus, then you drive it & get back to me with all the new noises you hear".

Not saying problems dont need to be fixed, but there's only so much to be done before you have a brand new cart.
LMAO. Point taken, but.............I don’t have a Lexus...........Should I just drive the cart til the wheels fall off??
I agree that it’s a 10 year old golf cart but also know noises in vehicles that don’t sound right. :)
Wrongway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I tell our boss that "You can't satisfy 100% of people 100% of the time" but she refuses to grasp it.

You'd be surprised the price SOME folks will pay. We just rebuilt a flood special limo Precedent (it's not a real Precedent other than in body--it's a China clone!)

And that cost the customer more than 13,000 dollars in the end. it was fully corroded, rear end shot, motor shot, controller shot, pedal group shot, etc. he still preferred to pay that than buy a new car that cost 1/2 that.

However lately our main customers refuse to pay more than $50 to replace batteries or buy a car cheaper than $800 and are not going to be satisfied either way. Luckily they're starting to bring in some old resistor cars and at least those can be done cheap. I have missed how simple it is to work on those. Last one was just a bad wire from the charging receptacle on a 36V club car.

OP: the noise is nothing to worry about. My Saturn ION makes more noise and it's been going on past 125,000 miles on interstates. Golf cars will wear and make all sorts of noises. You'd only have to worry if you smelled smoke or heard a battery go kaboom!

It's the picky Steve Jobs types I worry about. There were a few last year who heard the sound an RXV makes at high speed (the AC motor whine) and complained. It was impossible to educate them on 'normal' sounds they make. Other times the solenoid clicking on a car scared someone.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would pull the drums, as has been suggested by several (but not yet tried). Taking the wheels off and looking at the drums & shaking them does not equal an actual inspection. I would also slide the axle shafts out to check the wheel bearings (only retained by a snap ring). If that doesnt lead you any where, the motor coupler would be my second guess as well.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
JimsTXT
Not Yet Wild

I had the same issue and it was the motor coupler. Easy fix after I went through checking the rear brakes, dropping the rear differential cover to inspect the gears and change the gear oil. Good luck with fixing it.
JimsTXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #15
Wrongway2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
I haven’t taken it in yet but probable next week I’ll get it looked at.
Thanks again
Greg
Old 12-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
zero26tb4u
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsTXT View Post
I had the same issue and it was the motor coupler. Easy fix after I went through checking the rear brakes, dropping the rear differential cover to inspect the gears and change the gear oil. Good luck with fixing it.
What did you do to fix it?

Thanks.
zero26tb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #17
JimsTXT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero26tb4u View Post
What did you do to fix it?

Thanks.
I replaced the motor coupler. $2 part and about 30 minutes of work. Granted it took me two weeks to diagnose it with a crazy work schedule.
JimsTXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Wrongway2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I replaced the motor coupler. $2 part and about 30 minutes of work. Granted it took me two weeks to diagnose it with a crazy work schedule.
That’s good to know. Thanks for sharing.
I found a guy in our park who works on golf carts and he’s apparently very good so after Christmas I’ll get him to take a look at it.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #19
mmiille
Getting Wild

Club Car

Location: In a van down by the river, between Iowa & Southern California

Quote:
Where did you get the motor coupler?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
mmiille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #20
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You should change the input shaft also. Otherwise, it will wear your new coupler at an accelerated rate.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO