lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Tire removal

I bought to tires used on 5 lug rims.I got 18.5x8.5x8 .Didn't see it. So what i want to ask is; i have the rims[stock]Do you guys; have Away of removing and reinstalling tires [at home]. fairly easy ,or must i take them to a tire store.Any forseable problems with the sizes that you notice?i have.~~~ thanks much bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
alangsam
Getting Wild

Default Re: Tire removal

It’s a ******. You do it with tire tools and elbow grease or take it to a golf cart shop or tire place.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
It’s a ******. You do it with tire tools and elbow grease or take it to a golf cart shop or tire place.
yeah! i got tire short tools Don't even know what they are used on. laying in my tool boxx.Kidding myself i guess thanks alangsam
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought a small wheel tire removal tool kit from Harbor Freight for use on a small garden tractor I had. I found it also works for golf car tires. It is a pain in the A** to use but does get the job done. I think I only paid about $49 for it at the time but it has paid for it’s self over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I had one of those HF small tire mount tools and broke it after dismounting about 30 old cart tires in a row one day.
I now have another stack of 20-25 old tires that I need to dismount and will probably buy another of the HF tools because it works just well enough and it’s cheap.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had a tire with a nail in it.
I wanted to put a patch on the inside instead of a plug
I took it off, removed the valve and tried to break the bead to take the tire off.
It didn't happen.
I beat on it with a rubber mallet.
I thought I could get it off with a sledge.
It had the potential to really damage the rim, and it wasn't worth it to me.
I just loaded it up and for $5 I got it plugged.

If I had to remove and re-install a tire on a rim, I would out source it.
Especially if it's 4 wheels.

I think it's so much easier to take the wheels to a shop, go get a coffee and a snack, then pick them up.
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You guys go about this the hard way. I just load my cart on my trailer and drive to the tire shop. Unload cart and they take it in and load it back on the trailer when done while I write the check.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Similar to Fairtax4me I had that small cheapie HF tire machine till it broke. WAY too much effort, but it would remove a tire. I now have the bigger HF tire charger - still a lot of work, but it hasn't broken yet. If I have the time, or certainly if I'm doing more than 1 on a cart I just take it to a local tire shop. If you figure my labor time, it's actually cheaper to let the tire shop do it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've had a HF manual tire machine for about 10 yrs. It used to see regular use and I learned a few tricks, bought some extra spoons at HF and it still does occasional mower and cart tire service. I mounted it to a big steel plate and bolted that to a pallet so I can bring it in from behind the barn when needed.
Trick #1 put a vice grip on the rim (use a rubber protection pad here if chrome wheel) to stop the tire from sliding around and around.
Trick #2 Apply tire wet or similar lube to all beads. This is mandatory
Trick #3 Purchase tire valve removal/install tool and valve stem removal tool. Use only new tire valves and stems.
Trick #4 Quickly air up with big tank and hose without the stem in place to set the beads then install the stem as the tire is deflating.
Trick #5 IF trick 4 fails wrap a ratchet strap around the tire and compress then retry.

When all of the above fail step back, apply alcohol and retry. It will work
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Similar to Fairtax4me I had that small cheapie HF tire machine till it broke. WAY too much effort, but it would remove a tire. I now have the bigger HF tire charger - still a lot of work, but it hasn't broken yet. If I have the time, or certainly if I'm doing more than 1 on a cart I just take it to a local tire shop. If you figure my labor time, it's actually cheaper to let the tire shop do it.
Dismounting Old tires = easy as long as the tire bead breaks loose easily. I chuck the old tires in a huge pile of tires. The wheel goes in the huge pile of scrap metal. Most of them are old, bent, rusted, not worth re-using or trying to save.

Mounting new tires = Hardly worth it, and you pretty much have no option but to re-paint the wheel afterward because the process will destroy the paint on the edges.

I mostly dismount old golf cart tires so I can scrap the wheels. Neither my tire recycler, or metal recyclers will take the whole thing. I have enough carts that it's a problem to get rid of 4-5 full sets of worn out used tires every year, and it's more cost effective for me to spend a day dismounting tires than to pay $15 a piece to dispose of them. New tires, I buy them pre-mounted, except for the skinny 6 ply front tires on my transporter carts because no-body sells the wheels.
I have a tire machine that easily does larger tires (regular car/truck) and I can do those all day long no trouble. Tractor/equipment tires and anything with an inner tube, I don't even try to mess with. I take it to the tire shop down the street. $40 for them to replace a tube in a backhoe tire... I'll gladly pay it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car