lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Recommended paint to use?

What paint do I use for the metal parts and which for the plastic parts?

I will be using rattle-can primer and 2k clear. Specifically I'm asking for the type of paint; urethane, lacquer, enamel, latex, water based.... Etc.

I have an '86 marathon and I wanna paint it with my spray gun but don't want to spend $100 at an auto body shop for a pint of auto body paint. I would like to just ask the local hardware store to mix me up a quart for around $25.

Only the base coat (color) will be done with the spray gun, I get runs with color in a can.

Lastly, I don't like the off the shelf "auto body" paint colors. I have a few colors I want to paint it but they would have to be mixed/made.
Mnemonic Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Recommended paint to use?

Happy New Year Ghost.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonic Ghost View Post
What paint do I use for the metal parts and which for the plastic parts?

I will be using rattle-can primer and 2k clear. Specifically I'm asking for the type of paint; urethane, lacquer, enamel, latex, water based.... Etc.

I have an '86 marathon and I wanna paint it with my spray gun but don't want to spend $100 at an auto body shop for a pint of auto body paint. I would like to just ask the local hardware store to mix me up a quart for around $25.

Only the base coat (color) will be done with the spray gun, I get runs with color in a can.

Lastly, I don't like the off the shelf "auto body" paint colors. I have a few colors I want to paint it but they would have to be mixed/made.
Just go to your local hardware store and tell them what you want and what you are going to pay them for it.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you cant apply it & you cant afford it, maybe you aren't ready to tackle this one?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Asked the hardware store they referred me to a specialty paint shop that makes auto paint at low prices .....

And yes I am fully capable to spray it and buy it but I don't see why $100 for a pint of paint is a "good" idea. Right I could pay to have it done at $500-1200 but why? If I can do this myself for a put-around cart then why not stay cheap?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used shaker can primer... wet sand... then the Ace brand rust protection enamel... on the plastic and the metal... cuz I’m a cheap *******... and it came out right nice and holds up surprisingly well... if you have painting skills you can get a nice finish.... if you’re like me... you’re gonna get a little orange peal... but it’s still shiny and looks nice and if I cared, I could always wet sand the color and buff it out but I certainly don’t care that much... if anybody bends over to look that close... I’ll just kick em in the ***
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
milabu69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I also have an 86 Marathon. You might want to think about vinyl wrap. I did mine and it came out pretty good. That style of Marathon doesn't have any compound curves making it pretty easy to wrap. It was my first time and it came out decent. You can find vinyl cheap on line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1170.jpg (174.8 KB, 0 views)
milabu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by milabu69 View Post
I also have an 86 Marathon. You might want to think about vinyl wrap. I did mine and it came out pretty good. That style of Marathon doesn't have any compound curves making it pretty easy to wrap. It was my first time and it came out decent. You can find vinyl cheap on line.
Nice! I like the color.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That looks pretty dang nice
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:45 AM   #10
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

@malibu69 I thought about that too. I make my own shirts and stickers as a hobby so I'm familiar with vinyl.

I have a side question tho, I was thinking about getting those side rockers too but I don't have the plastic side rockers like the '87+ models have. Do yours mount up solid?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO