lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Brewfixer
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse Lights?

Hello All,
First time poster on this site.

I am doing up a early 80's Club Car DS for a relative with lift kit, new dash mudder wheels and tires etc.... One of his request was to have a reverse light put in as he keeps the cart at a camp ground where it is dark.

I have tried looking for some kind of signal to attach to a relay that will allow 12vdc to the lights when the cart goes into reverse but I am unable to find one. I thought perhaps the buzzard but that did not work out for me as the the buzzard comes on all the time when the signal wire from the relay (pin 86) is attached to the buzzard.

Is there another wire perhaps right at the reverse/forward switch that I can pick up?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure this has been done but this site lacks a thread search function.
Brewfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Reverse Lights?

to BGW!

Not sure what you mean by "pin 86" on an early 80's cart.

You can wire reverse lights through the FNR switch micro switch. However, you must have a 12 volt source and you cannot have the reverse buzzer tied in as it is 36 volt.

Just remember that micro switch must carry the current of the lights. I would use 2 small LED's.

Watch out for those buzzards.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The "Search" function is on the second blue button bar ... two spots to the left of the Log Out button.

Have a look here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=151938

And here: https://www.google.com/search?client...esgonewild.com
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The buzzer is often “hot” on the older carts and gets the negative through the micro switch, so depending where you connect your relay you are using the relay as the negative which is allowing the buzzer to run regardless of switch position.
On this cart you will probably have to re-wire the buzzer so it, and your relay, are on the cold side of the switch.
Also are you using a 12v relay? The relay needs to be at least a 36v relay or else it’s going to let the magic smoke out.

MC, pin 86 is one of the terminal labels on a standard “Bosch style” 4 or 5 pin relay.
Attached Images
File Type: gif DCA70F2E-702F-4738-9B49-8C28701D83FE.gif (12.7 KB, 0 views)
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Brewfixer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies..
I am using a 48V relay and getting 12v from the batteries. I was looking at the F/R switch next but unsure which wire is my reverse. Is there a schematic available on this site? There seems to be two wire harnesses going to the F/R switch.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look in the "sticky" posts and you will probably find what you're looking for as far as wiring diagram goes.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=924
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why not just add a second dash switch that turns on a light shining out back? If you needed light to the rear, you wouldn't then have to turn the cart around. Just thinking out loud.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewfixer View Post
Thanks for the replies..
I am using a 48V relay and getting 12v from the batteries. I was looking at the F/R switch next but unsure which wire is my reverse. Is there a schematic available on this site? There seems to be two wire harnesses going to the F/R switch.
My schematic is for a 2003, but it also has 2 harnesses going to the FNR switch.
One is the FNR switch - Orange, Brown,Blue.
Blue is Reverse on my cart.
The other is a 4 wire harness for the Curtis controller programmer port - GRN/YEL,BLU/YEL,RED/YEL,BLK/YEL.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You do not need a relay. That micro switch will handle 2 small LED's that put out plenty of light. Just run one side of the 12v circuit through it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Brewfixer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
My schematic is for a 2003, but it also has 2 harnesses going to the FNR switch.
One is the FNR switch - Orange, Brown,Blue.
Blue is Reverse on my cart.
The other is a 4 wire harness for the Curtis controller programmer port - GRN/YEL,BLU/YEL,RED/YEL,BLK/YEL.
Thanks this did it for me. Blue was the wire I was looking for. I wire that to a 48vdc relay and I now have the 12vdc required...
Thanks to all for the direction.

Tags
backup, lights, reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car