lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default Precedent jerks, dies, let it sit goes again?

Decided to help a friend at our campground out With his cart. The car is a 2004 club car precedent. He started having problems with it a couple months ago. It would run fine then get jerky and die. He replaced the speed sensor. Problem was not fixed. He replaced the M core. Problem is still not fixed. He then bought a factory refurbished controller. Still no go. He then replaced the solenoid with a name brand Curtis/Albright. The cart is still doing the same thing. I took it for a drive and it ran fine for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I had the same problems. Cart got very jerky. Not necessarily speed fluctuations but jerking violently. It then stopped. I messed with the toggle switch and when I would put it in forward and hit the pedal it would creep an inch or two in reverse. Same thing with reverse. It would creep an inch or two forward. I pushed it back to the site and messed with it a little more. Let it sit for a little bit. Then tried again and it ran Fine again.?

So here’s what I have come to find. If you’re running it on smooth pavement and slow down rapidly it sounds like there’s something in the motor or rear end. It literally sounds like a ping-pong ball inside of a can still rolling when you stop. I can hear it occasionally but not constantly. It’s very strange but it sounds like a small metal bearing rolling around inside the case Of the motor and when stopping the centrifugal force is still carrying it along for a few seconds?
I think the motor has something broke free and it occasionally hangs up causing the jerking and causing it to die.

Has anyone heard of something similar to this?
anziosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent jerks, dies, let it sit goes again?

Sounds to me like the motor brushes are shot. Also check for loose cable connections.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How old are the batteries? What’s the pack voltage when it’s at rest 12 hours after charging, during a drive, and when it shuts off?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Batteries are 2019 Crown and they all are fully charged during these incidents. The cart uses a powerdrive charger that seems to work just fine. The OBC seems to control the charge cycle fine as he plugs it in and it shuts off on its own after bringing the pack up to about 50.8/9 volts.

I’ll try some load tests. The noise from the rear is really my focus though. It has to be the culprit.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

obc?
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
anziosaint
Gone Wild

So I have read numerous threads and cant seem to pin it down. Has anyone seen or heard of such symptoms??? And if so what was the issue?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am with mrgolf, any moving/rolling sound that could cause those issues can only come from the motor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car