lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Brakes - Lackluster Performance

Hi all! I have soaked up as much knowledge as I can from here and from the inter-webs. Looking for qualified advice from those with experience!

Brakes. This carts brakes leaves something to be desired. If I’m honest, I’ve not driven another cart in a long long time, so my frame of reference is quite narrow.

Is it just a fact of golf cart braking systems that they will feel sub-par? No controller upgrades, 19mph max speed and I find there is a very thin line between stopping at a moderate, but certainly not rapid pace, and skidding tires - to where I’m tense just trying to slow down. I’ve adjusted the cables either way and it just is never confidence inspiring! I realize it doesn’t help that the brakes are on the rear while the weight is moving forward, but I wish for more.

I know there are disc conversion kits out there, but I can’t imagine those do anything but add more skidding? Are they significantly different? Would replacing shoes help?

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge sharing thus far!
JWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Brakes - Lackluster Performance

What year cart? What’s the serial number?
Big tires?

There are some cheapo aftermarket brake shoes out there that make the pedal feel like a brick and might stop you eventually.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The majority of brakes are adjusted wrong.....want to prove my point go watch any youtube video on how to adjust golf cart brakes and they are all wrong. Even your statement of adjusting the cable, well sorry to tell you,thats wrong. The only time I touch the brake cable is to un do what the previous mechanic did.

Golf cart brakes work very well when properly adjusted, no need for disc brakes.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Disc brakes will stop you in a straight line. With just rear mechanical brakes one side is always a little stronger than the other which makes the cart want to swap ends. In a emergency braking situation you may find yourself sliding sideways through a intersection.
If you drive on city streets or parking lots where other people are liable to pull in front of you. You need disc brakes/all wheel brakes. And one last thing 70% of the braking is done by the front brakes.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

In addition I need to ask. Is your cart lifted. What you describe is exactly how a lifted cart brakes because one brake cable is too short.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Oof, apologies I didn’t include cart info! It’s a 2008 Club Car Precedent 48V. It has an AllSports 3” lift, with dual action springs in the rear.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
The majority of brakes are adjusted wrong.....want to prove my point go watch any youtube video on how to adjust golf cart brakes and they are all wrong. Even your statement of adjusting the cable, well sorry to tell you,thats wrong. The only time I touch the brake cable is to un do what the previous mechanic did.

Golf cart brakes work very well when properly adjusted, no need for disc brakes.

Yikes, that’s not good to hear. Any suggestions on adjusting them correctly? :)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
In addition I need to ask. Is your cart lifted. What you describe is exactly how a lifted cart brakes because one brake cable is too short.

Yes it’s lifted
Old 06-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Yes it’s lifted
Well then you need to go to Revolution Golf Cars and order a longer driver side brake cable and your problems will be gone

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-precedent
Old 06-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Or you can do the 'brake flip', which raises the brake lines high and tight to the underside of the cart

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86998
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car