lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #11
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Brakes - Lackluster Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Well then you need to go to Revolution Golf Cars and order a longer driver side brake cable and your problems will be gone

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-precedent

Ok, the cart is only on a 3” lift and both cables seem to be OK on length. At any rate, I was hoping to get specific advice and you’ve only posted ambiguous, general comments so I’m hoping you can expand more on them?
JWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Guess not
Old 06-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I purchased my EZ-GO about ten years ago and have done significant modifications to it since then.

However, concerning brakes, I use my cart 95% for hunting and here in SW Pa we have HILLS.....not just rises in the dirt but honest to goodness hills. The only place I know with steeper hills is West Virginia....and after that the Grand Canyon.

The first year I used my cart I found that when going down hill after a rain soaked night or day, the cart was more of a carnival ride. The rear brakes would lock up both wheels and then on the wet dirt....or worse mud....the cart just sorta went where it wanted to.

I then installed a set of Jakes front disc brakes. Problems were then solved. I could stop the cart going downhill and it would stay "stopped" on the hill until I released the brake.

My rear brakes are still the factory cable\drum type but my front brakes are hydraulic. I like the idea of two different systems on the cart....in case one decides to fail I can still stop.

That's my brake story in a nutshell.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I purchased my EZ-GO about ten years ago and have done significant modifications to it since then.

However, concerning brakes, I use my cart 95% for hunting and here in SW Pa we have HILLS.....not just rises in the dirt but honest to goodness hills. The only place I know with steeper hills is West Virginia....and after that the Grand Canyon.

The first year I used my cart I found that when going down hill after a rain soaked night or day, the cart was more of a carnival ride. The rear brakes would lock up both wheels and then on the wet dirt....or worse mud....the cart just sorta went where it wanted to.

I then installed a set of Jakes front disc brakes. Problems were then solved. I could stop the cart going downhill and it would stay "stopped" on the hill until I released the brake.

My rear brakes are still the factory cable\drum type but my front brakes are hydraulic. I like the idea of two different systems on the cart....in case one decides to fail I can still stop.

That's my brake story in a nutshell.

Yeah I would love to put disc brakes on it, and may end up doing it. But I feel like something is still off with the rear brakes too.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
But I feel like something is still off with the rear brakes too
Driver side brake cable is too short
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #16
Norklin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-precedent
Norklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #17
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well I took off the drum and took a looksie inside. Everything seems ok mechanically, but the drum is sort of beat up and the pads have chips in the sides.

All back together and the brake now pulsates. Screw it, time to spend money.

I ordered the longer brake cable, new drums and new pads from Revolution.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #18
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Here’s the drum and cables.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

BTW That's a 4 in lift.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Update: Replaced drivers side brake pedal with the longer version and went ahead and replaced both sides pads and the drivers side drum.

Interestingly the drivers side drum may have been the culprit of a very slightly rear wheel wobble.

Anyway, brakes are butter smooth now. Still don’t have the bite a disc would, but the pedal is smooth, I can put down hard pressure and no issues!

Thanks all for the advice, and quick shipping from David @ Revolution!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car