lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default BMS to control battery charger?

Have the Lester Summit II charger (some of you know this already) and even though it states that it is compatible with Lithium, it is not compatible with my Lithium. While I may still bite the bullet and buy the Schauer, I really would like to use the Lester if I can, since I already have it.

Read this on the site where I got the batteries and wondering what you smarter-than-me folks think. I'll reach out to the seller also, but would love to hear thoughts from those not tied so tightly to the sales pitch.

"BMS has charging control that connects to charger negative to provide a shutoff of the charger when the battery is fully charged at 4.2v per cell. This will allow the use of a charger that is not designed for lithium that would normally charge over the allowed 50.4vdc The Installation requires installing the orange plug into battery receptacle, connecting negative lead with eye ring to battery negative post and the BMS charger negative to the charger negative".

I'll attach a few pics of the batteries with the BMS attached (if you look closely at the one pic you will see the black wire that needs to go to the charger negative).

Thanks guys. Yes, I am ready to be done with this and be able to run this thing. While I am looking for input, if this really will work it may be helpful to others as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC Batteries 1.jpg (110.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC Batteries 2.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: BMS to control battery charger?

Chevy Volt batteries can go up in flames and Leaf modules cannot. I would be very careful of how and what with, those batteries are charged. You could end up with this: see link.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...t=lithium+fire
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just buy the correct charger and list the old one in the for sale section of the forum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you both; I very much respect both of your opinions and that was the response that I was hoping to get!

I have seen that thread, Ping, and keep it in mind when I ask these types of questions. While I would love to use the Lester charger, I am not hell bent on doing so and certainly do not want to do anything dangerous or stupid.

Is this the charger that you are using, Walter? It is obviously much cheaper than the Schauer, but again I do not want to make a mistake (I know that our setups are not apples to apples). I do not like to overpay for something, but I hate making mistakes (perhaps like I did with the Lester) as well.

Again, much appreciation to both of you for your replies-thank you!
Old 11-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the charger or one very similar that is used by most everybody. One thing I noticed is that they don't sell it with an Anderson Connector anymore. You may have to buy a connector to suit your needs. Or maybe your planning on using your Club Car connector. As an aside the same thing happened to me with a DPI Charger. I bought a DPI to get ready to switch over to Lithium. They claimed it was good for Lithium. But when the time came to use it they changed their mind and said that it wasn't compatible. Now you can see the results of their dishonesty. Used to be everybody wanted a DPI. Now nobody even mentions them anymore.

Edit: The thought just occurred to me that you may be only using 12 cells@50.4V. In that case you need to use this charger. Notice it has an Anderson Connector

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Batte...s%2C160&sr=8-6
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you again, Walter. While I am struggling with the fact that I really wanted the Lester and purchased it based on their telling me that it was Lithium compatible (and now not taking it back since it is not) I do not want them to go down the same path as DPI (I have owned a eCommerce site and found that not taking care of your customers can be the kiss of death!).

Thank you for that link; I am going to double check all of my specs on the Volt batteries before I pull the trigger so that I (hopefully!) do not make a mistake!
Old 12-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post

Edit: The thought just occurred to me that you may be only using 12 cells@50.4V. In that case you need to use this charger. Notice it has an Anderson Connector

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Batte...s%2C160&sr=8-6
I am (somewhat!) back on this and was able to get some wiring done this weekend (I now have a working voltage reducer, AH meter and lights). I believe that I have the MCOR properly wired (had to make up some ends to make the harness adapter fit the MCOR) and received my shunt and have that installed-I think that I am getting close to making the final connections soon and getting this thing rolling!

I just want to circle back on this charger (since I am now able to make some stuff work I am concerned about draining the battery. I am not running anything long or with a big draw, and my MM shows 48.1V still so I am just being cautious). I want to order a charger and before I pull the trigger I'd like you smart folks to confirm it will work (I am just being overly cautious since I do not want to go through the Lester Summit II fiasco again that was "supposed" to work with Lithium).

Here is a quote from the battery supplier:

"Important thing to remember is maximum charge voltage is 50.4v. And maximum discharge voltage is 36v."

A million thank you's in advance for the help!
Old 12-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I meant to confirm in the above post that this is the correct charger. If the battery manufacturer states "maximum charge voltage is 50.4V" and this is what this charger claims, I don't have to worry about the "finish up voltage" like the Lester pushed, correct?

Here's a link to the charger just one more time: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Batte...60&sr=8-6&th=1

Thank you, and sorry for being such a worry wart!
Old 12-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
morvolts2
Gone Wild

I know nothing about the chargers mentioned.
Im running 2 different chargers on Volt conversions.
One is the OEM Club Car Lester 36v charger with crowsfoot connector.
The other is the Accucharge "dumb" charger that Ive wired the trigger wire
into a stand alone voltage comparator. I have that set for 49.2V cutoff.
The 36V charger is slower,but is safer because try as hard as it might,it cant
put out too much voltage. If I leave it overnight it will get up to 48.4V,which is perfect.
I would NEVER run the charge up to the maximum of 50.4V,and even getting close to that
you need to monitor individual cell voltage. This is where you get into trouble.
One rogue cell and its game over.
Perhaps you dont feel comfortable using an old school charger with upgraded controls,but its worked fine for me.
Its possible to use the Accucharge dumb charger and your BMS to control it,

the third wire on the plug uses the(-) to turn the charger off and on,and your BMS is already set up for this.
On my next project I will need to get a little creative on chargers as its 72V.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you, morvolts2. I do have the charger wire ready to go to the negative side from the BMS as you mention, and was told that it will control the charger (shut it off) if it exceeded voltage.

What is your concern of hitting max voltage (50.4) on the charger? Since the battery supplier seems to think this is fine I am wondering what your thoughts are.

Thank you again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car