lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Question g16, jetted the carb now need help adjusting it

I bought the driven clutch set up and k&n air filter with the 2 jets from plowmans but I cant seem to get the thing adjusted right. It will backfire after getting on for a min but not everytime plus about 3/4 speed it starts to make a gargle noise and looses power. I have tried turning the adjuster with the black cap on it on the back of my carb but it doesnt seem to matter. I was told to pop the cap off so I can turn it past the point that the cap stops you from going further but I am a little new at this. I get it just idling in neutral and then floor it to check for hesitation but when I get that perfect I loose all torque and I get the gargling noise and lose all my top end at about 3/4 speed. Please help me this is so frustrating.
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: g16, jetted the carb now need help adjusting it

Sounds like an air/fuel mixture problem. How did it run before you installed the kit? You could have a good bit of restriction from the exhaust that is not liking the new massive air flow you got from the carb. Yamaha's are picky about air/fuel mixture. Check your plug and see if it is wet which would indicate too much fuel.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

It ran awesome before rejetting it. I had 140 compression and alot more torque and top end. There were no instructions with the kit so I am just playing it by ear. Do you think I need to open up the air box a little to get more air flow into the motor?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

It's pretty much going to be a guessing game adjusting the air fuel mixture. I'd try increasing air flow and then go from there. How does it run without the air box? Stick the factory air filter and foam insert back in and see how that makes it run. It may end up being something where your going to have to mod something else to get it to run correctly like the exhaust. Check the plug to see if it is black and wet. I'm betting your dumping in way too much gas.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

If its getting to much fuel then why when I turn the screw all the way down it runs similar. I will check the plug. You are the master from everything Ive read. I would think that providing a way for more air and a new exhaust would be a better way to go if it would help. At least I could get a little more HP from the exhaust alone right? I just want to thank you for all your help and keep the ideas coming. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

The muffler BBQ is mostly used for the 2 strokes, but sure helped my G9....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

the plowmans kit is too be used with the g2/9 performance muffler, so i would mod your muffler or buy a lower restriction one. the more air in the more air should go out, then you can re-jet the carb to match. in a few days i will install the plowmans jet kit on my moded g9 in my thread my g9 so far and post some results. i have a 3'' k+n filter and a modded muffler on it.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I bought the kit for my g16. It said for g16 0n it. Everything fit. Even the guy on the phone doubled checked that it was a g16. I see that they have a pipe and muffler that they sell if you have the filter and jet kit and it says g16 on it as well. I think I am going to buy that.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
cart de golf
Gone Wild

I just did my G22 & my friend g16.

Did you also modify the air box ?

You need to get more air in

At the back bottom you need to drill 5 X 1/2 inches holes.
The inlet pipe going to the carburetor as to be modified you remove the 3 x 8mm
Bolts & use a whole saw 1 1/2 inches to male the hole bigger

Also the cover part of the air cleaner you need to remove the lip that goes across to let more air go from the filter side to the carburetor

(If you are no sure of these instructions not to scrap your air box give don a call at plowman's he will give you the instructions over the phone
also ask im to tell you how to modify your governor )

I ran my g22 without the after market muffler & it ran ok just awful smell from the stock insulation If u use a windshield
I switch to after market much better nice ping sound also.

the cart will get a bit noisyer because the mix of the air cleaner pulling more air & the ping sound in the muffler .but the performance gain is whell worth it
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha