lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
richardd
Not Yet Wild

Default Never Mind, He posted:

Other than the spring wrap direction. What is the difference between a G1 driven clutch and clutches for the G2 and up? My friend has a 4stroke G2 or greater(having trouble finding the serial no) that has a bad driven clutch. But he does have a good clutch for a G1. Will it work? They look the same.

Last edited by richardd; 12-06-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: another post
richardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Never Mind, He posted:

I'm not a Yamaha guy but I sleep at a holiday inn last night Seems half the clutch is the same. I got a parts book... the fixed sheave is the same while the sliding sheave is not.... I might get shot for saying this but, if it bolts up I would try it?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

One has a 2 way helix the other is 1 way.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
qmaziggy
Not Yet Wild

The difference is that the G1 is a 2 way clutch, but also the calibration is set for higher RPM'S that the G2 engine won't like and the cart will not perform correctly. This could result in engine damage as well.
qmaziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmaziggy View Post
The difference is that the G1 is a 2 way clutch, but also the calibration is set for higher RPM'S that the G2 engine won't like and the cart will not perform correctly. This could result in engine damage as well.
Okay one is a two way ( opens if spun clock OR counter-clockwise) The other is counter CW only. ........ I really do not see how this is going to damage the motor? Please explain is the clutch or the driver who is going to hurt the motor? Doesn't that motor have a govenor and rev limiter on it like all other GCs?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
qmaziggy
Not Yet Wild

Yes the engine is governed, but the regulation is based on transmission input shaft speed. If you are running the incorrect clutch or the original one for that matter that doesn't upshift properly, the trans governer will keep calling for more speed, causing the engine to rev up to the electronic rev limiter. It's sort of like running around in first gear all the time with your car. This is fine for short bursts, but not a good way to run all the time. Again, the G1 clutch is designed to upshift at a higher RPM due to the fact that it is on a 2 stroke engine. The G2 engine operates at a much lower RPM and is rev limited at 4200 RPM I think so the combination is incompatible.
qmaziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like it?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Also, the G1 uses a "fixed" spring. The 4 cycles use a spring that is "preloaded" with "tanges" on the spring for differant settings depending on the preload desighned for the car. The G2's thru G14's used B-4 and G16's and G22's used B-3. As Jakes started a "torque spring" kit and built the "preload" into a heavier/stiffer spring, preload was not needed anymore. I say try it, you may find a better salution to secondary clutchs for members. I will say, It would be nice to have a sliding sheave with a zerk fitting, so greasing could be done without taking the clutch apart. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Also, the G1 uses a "fixed" spring. The 4 cycles use a spring that is "preloaded" with "tanges" on the spring for differant settings depending on the preload desighned for the car. The G2's thru G14's used B-4 and G16's and G22's used B-3. As Jakes started a "torque spring" kit and built the "preload" into a heavier/stiffer spring, preload was not needed anymore. I say try it, you may find a better salution to secondary clutchs for members. I will say, It would be nice to have a sliding sheave with a zerk fitting, so greasing could be done without taking the clutch apart. Good luck Dave
Thank you MR smallblock450sl
Old 12-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

daves the man!!!!!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha