lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
JMCN
Not Yet Wild

Default All Sports Lift Question

Im in the process of installing the A-Arm lift from allsports on my precedent and was wondering if anyone has installed this and if so does the tow bracket go on the bottom of the A-Arm Assembly. I was unsure because when I test fit it the bolts supplied only stick through the tow bracket and assembly about a 1/4" so not much threads to screw into the bracket on the cart. I have attached a picture of the bracket and assembly if you have installed this please let me know if not guess I will have to wait until Monday to cal Allsports.

Thanks,

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0789.jpg (43.7 KB, 56 views)
JMCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: All Sports Lift Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCN View Post
Im in the process of installing the A-Arm lift from allsports on my precedent and was wondering if anyone has installed this and if so does the tow bracket go on the bottom of the A-Arm Assembly. I was unsure because when I test fit it the bolts supplied only stick through the tow bracket and assembly about a 1/4" so not much threads to screw into the bracket on the cart. I have attached a picture of the bracket and assembly if you have installed this please let me know if not guess I will have to wait until Monday to cal Allsports.

Thanks,

J
Mine is mounted on the bottom, hole forward to the front and when tightened only a couple of threads will show once attached through the top.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
JMCN
Not Yet Wild

Scuba thanks for the replay I was thinking that but my bolts seem to short for the task. The bolts barely make it half way through the hole. Will be calling All sports on Monday to check bolt length.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You say you have to call All Sports - Can your seller not help you with these questions? Or did you buy direct from AllSports?

We just installed a similar kit on an older DS cart. Looks to be a good kit for the price. NOT a true A Arm long travel though, since it uses a leaf spring and not coil shocks. Definitely a better package than what other companies are making and is now our recommended entry level lift for all Club Cars

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You've got the right bolts... That's just how they fit... I've installed 40 or 50 of these kits and never had one to back out. Use them and don't worry about it. It'll be fine.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You've got the right bolts... That's just how they fit... I've installed 40 or 50 of these kits and never had one to back out. Use them and don't worry about it. It'll be fine.
Also my bolts are not using any lock washers or flat washers... just the bolts and with them and once tightened show just a thread or two.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Also my bolts are not using any lock washers or flat washers... just the bolts and with them and once tightened show just a thread or two.
This lift kit was part of the purchase price from my CC dealer Gold Standard Build+... now I'm thinking... does this kit come with lock washers for those bolts and they didn't use them because of the short issue or are these bolts intended to be used without any lock washers or flat washers? It's been a year and 1/2 and I re-torqued them and they seemed fine... front end hasn't fallen off so far... SO FAR!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

C/P from BoltScience.com on washers

Quote:
Should I always use a washer under the bolt head and nut face?

Our opinion is that plain washers are best avoided if possible and certainly, a plain washer should not be used with a 'lock' washer. It would partly negate the effect of the locking action and secondly could lead to other problems (see below). Many 'lock' washers have been shown to be ineffective in resisting loosening.

The main purpose of a washer is to distribute the load under the bolt head and nut face. Instead of using washers however the trend as been to the use of flanged fasteners. If you compute the bearing stress under the nut face it often exceeds the bearing strength of the joint material and can lead to creep and bolt preload loss. Traditionally a plain washer (that should be hardened) is used in this application. However they can move during the tightening process (see below) causing problems.

Research indicates that the reason why fasteners come loose is usually caused by transverse loadings causing slippage of the joint. The fastener self loosens by this method. When using impact tightening tools there is a large variability in the preload achieved by the fastener. The tightening factor is between 2.5 and 4 for this method. (The tightening factor is the ratio of max preload to min. preload.) Software such as our BOLTCALC program allow for this by basing the design on the lowest anticipated preload that will be achieved in the assembly. Because of changes in the thread condition itself - different operators etc. it could be that lower values of preload are being achieved even though the assemblies may appear to be identical.

One problem that can occur with washers is that they can move when being tightened so that the washer can rotate with the nut or bolt head rather than remaining fixed. This can affect the torque tension relationship.
That being said, I always use washers. I've had many come loose without a washer (flat). If it makes you feel better place a drop of loctite blue on the threads. That should lock it down but still b able to take it apart if needed. Of coarse....the RIGHT length bolt would have been ideal.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
C/P from BoltScience.com on washers

That being said, I always use washers. I've had many come loose without a washer (flat). If it makes you feel better place a drop of loctite blue on the threads. That should lock it down but still b able to take it apart if needed. Of course....the RIGHT length bolt would have been ideal.
Thanks Roady... I agree 100%. I didn't see any Blue or Red on the bolt threads! (Blue is my friend on my Harley!) I'm guessing the CC dealer felt better by allowing more bolt and no washer. I am curious as to what my Lift Kit manufacturer calls for about the bolt size/length and or washer/no washer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1221.jpg (119.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1222.jpg (107.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1223a.jpg (47.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1226a.jpg (69.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
JMCN
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Thanks Roady... I agree 100%. I didn't see any Blue or Red on the bolt threads! (Blue is my friend on my Harley!) I'm guessing the CC dealer felt better by allowing more bolt and no washer. I am curious as to what my Lift Kit manufacturer calls for about the bolt size/length and or washer/no washer.
Scuba,

Look over your pictures my bolts are 1 3/4" no washers or lock nuts with the kit. I see the 2-3 threads sticking out on yours no way mine would yield the same results I think I have a bolt length problem.

J
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car