lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 - New project...Troubleshooting

I just purchased a later model G1. The guy I purchased it from said it ran fine, except that after a while of running it shut off. When I went to pick it up the carb and fuel pump were off of it. He said he took it to a golf cart mechanic and he said the fuel pump was bad. Also he stated the mechanic said that the rings on the cylinder seemed loose and it needed rebuilt. I wanted to get some opinions on how to approach this. There is no apparent oil leaks anywhere on this cart. Everything looks excellent. It does appear that someone has put a new fuel filter on this cart that is not the original. I am thinking about putting everything back together and seeing how it runs first. I already burned out the muffler. Should I buy a new fuel pump or can they be rebuilt? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hotsyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - New project...Troubleshooting

Do you have a picture of it? Sounds kind of scary
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Will try to post some pics. I just got done redoing a G1 about 2 weeks ago, but there was no motor issues with it. I just bought this cart for parts, but it is in better shape than my other cart. I am going to do a compression test first thing this morning. Also the fuel pump is together but has been apart, still loose. Going to take a look at it. If the compression is low, I am going to pull the head and see if there is any play in the crankshaft and bearings. I have a feeling that I am going to replace: piston, ring, crankseals, fuel filter, fuel pump, and have the cylinder bored and I will be good. At that point I should have less than $500 still in the cart and hopefully this will solve all my problems.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Just did compression test...it was 0. Took off head and piston was chewed up on front side...because ring was broken. Cylinder does not look bad though. Fan cover revealed a crankshaft seal leak. I was wandering if I need to have the crank case split to change the bearings? I thought I read a post where someone used a puller from harbor freight to get those out from the outside. I am going to take piston and cylinder to machine shop today to see if they can bore it out. Hopefully this is why the fuel pump was not working. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0819000930.jpg (102.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0819000929b.jpg (141.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 0819000929a.jpg (108.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 0819000929.jpg (94.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Fuel pump looks good....just need a little info on how the connecting rod should feel. there is no movement up and down on the crankshaft, buy I can wiggle it side to side about an 1/8". Is this normal? Or do I need a new bearing at the bottom of it. Machine shop said I need to find standard piston size and they will bore head 0.5 over. Calling golf cart place now.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

I found on a previous post where standard piston size on a G1 is 68mm close to the 2.675" that the machine shop quoted me. Trying to get the fan side off and the bolt on the clutch side. Does anyone know if I need to remove the fan shroud. I am going to try tapping everything off for now.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Not sure on splitting the case... I think the rod wiggle is good but, maybe someone else will chime in that knows more about the freeplay... I say if it's that far apart, replace it! G1 parts are cheaper than most! That way you know what you have!!! Hope this helps
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

bump
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Got fan side off with homemade puller my neighbor had. Still can not get the clutch side bolt to break free. Tried two impacts....no luck yet... After I got the fan off there is two phillips screws and some coils left before I have access to the seal. I take it this is how you set the timing on this motor. I am heading out for some more cart work. Got most parts on order.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

Is clutch side bolt reverse threads by chance?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha