lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
mooky
Not Yet Wild

Talking G1

I have a 1980 G1 that has not ran in a few years. I dumped the gas and changed the oil, and it fired right up, but only for a little while. It acts like it is not getting enough fuel to it, so I put a little starter fluid in it and it starts than dies. I am not very good at this stuff, so any help would be awsome..
mooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Rosati
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1

you will need to pull the carb and clean it out. I'm sure it was parked with gas in it so any varnish in the carb will make it really difficult to idle.
You should also know that you must push and hold the pedal off the switch in order to idle. If the pedal is let go, the engine will cut off.
I removed the belt and disconnected the black/white wire off the black box on the passenger fender while trying to get it running. Once done, reconnect everything.
Rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
mooky
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I have jacked up the rear end so that when it is running the tires will engage without moving the cart. Like I said I am not a handyman at all, I did manage to get the carb off, how do I get the carb apart?? or do I need to. Also how do I know if it is getting fuel and the oil mix to the carb?? Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Rosati
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

With the carb off already, this will be easier.
Grap a bowl or can and place both lines that went to the carb in it. Crank the engine over and see if anything comes out. The fuel pump should squirt quite a bit with each revolution but the oiler may only shoot a few drops.

On the carb, clean the outside very well to remove and loose dirt and grime. Remove the large bolt on the bottom of the bowl
Remove the bowl. Be gentle, don't rip the o-ring gasket
Remove the pin from the float and set it,the float, and needle off to the side.
Remove the jet on the side of the post with a good flat head screw driver that fits well, you don't want to damage the jets.
Now unscrew the jet inside the bottom of the post, again, used a good tool.
Depending on how much varnish is inside, you may need to soak the hard parts in lacquer thinner and use spray carb cleaner to blow out any passages in the carb, jets, and bowl.

DO NOT soak the float, needle, or any soft parts.
DO NOT use a wire or similar to prod any holes in the parts.
DO NOT adjust anything at this point or remove anything on the outside of the carb.
We are just trying to clean out the carb so fuel can flow as intended.
Reassembly is reversed.
When putting jets back in, do not overtighten, just make good and snug.
Try it out and let us know.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
mooky
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help.. Did it and it runs. THANKS!!! How do I know if it is getting oil though? I have drove it up and down the street for about 15 to 20 minutes and seems to be running fine. The only other problem is that it is hard to start after sitting a few hours.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Rosati
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Are using the choke to start it?
If it ran for that long, I'd bet your oiler is working. Otherwise the rings would have siezed in the cylinder.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha