lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
EMK
Not Yet Wild

Default starter solenoid/relay

I think the relay went on my cart. Holding my foot down I have nothing but if I plink the solenoid with my finger it will start right up.

Looking up this part: JF2-H1950-00-00 its pretty expensive for a solenoid. my question is, why cant I use any 4 wire 12v heavy duty solenoid for it?

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I see no difference in these except for the silver to copper contacts.

Has anyone needed to swap one of these out.

I already had a coil problem that I had posted on here and ended up swapping it out for a coil off of a 2 stroke moped and has been working fine ever since.
EMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: starter solenoid/relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMK View Post
I think the relay went on my cart. Holding my foot down I have nothing but if I plink the solenoid with my finger it will start right up.

Looking up this part: JF2-H1950-00-00 its pretty expensive for a solenoid. my question is, why cant I use any 4 wire 12v heavy duty solenoid for it?

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I see no difference in these except for the silver to copper contacts.

Has anyone needed to swap one of these out.

I already had a coil problem that I had posted on here and ended up swapping it out for a coil off of a 2 stroke moped and has been working fine ever since.
That would depend on the current demand of the coil. If its an Automotive starter solenoid, the coil will draw 10 amps. And is not for continuos duty operation. The coil could over heat and the switch contacts on the foot pedal that activate the coil will burn out.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Happy_Camper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

definitly want to go with a Continuous Duty Solenoid (COLE HERSEE) is an excelent brand and most starter/alt repair shops carry them..
Happy_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For your Yamaha golf cart (with possible exception of G1s, G3s and G5s, you can use any golf cart solenoid). EZGO solenoids are cheap. I have an EZGO solenoid on my G2.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
EMK
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys.

So this one should work.......

Amazon.com: Continuous Duty Solenoid 80AMP 12V: Automotive Amazon.com: Continuous Duty Solenoid 80AMP 12V: Automotive

Not exactly that one, looks kind of cheaply made.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I said, any golf cart solenoid. Not automotive solenoids. Some models of golf cart solenoids can be purchased for as low as US$15.00. Probably less.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
EMK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogieblack View Post
I said, any golf cart solenoid. Not automotive solenoids. Some models of golf cart solenoids can be purchased for as low as US$15.00. Probably less.
That was in response to Happy Campers post.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Happy_Camper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK Fine....Point takin
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
EMK
Not Yet Wild

I think we got all mixed up. I responded to your post with the link I found that also had a Cole Hersee. If that is the one you were talking about.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Happy_Camper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes that type, there are different amp ratings as well as intermidiate (usually plastic/compostie housing)and continuous duty (usually metal housing) I have used these in many different applications in my type of work and they have held up fine... was just a suggestion as a repair that wouldn't be costly. guess i was wrong according to kogieblack's reply, just tring to help out thats all...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha