lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
VAJeff
Not Yet Wild

Default Advice/Suggestions for a new to us Cart

I am new here, and just looking into the whole Golf Cart thing. We have decided we would like to get one for our camping trips. We have rented them many times at different camp grounds.

I will be hauling it in the bed of my F350 (6 3/4 bed) and towing our Travel Trailer. I am planning on getting some 9 to 10 ft aluminum folding ramps (supporting 2000lbs) to load. Once loaded, I plan on leaving the tail gate partially opened kind of like this guy did in these pictures:

His cart has a folding foot board (flipped up in the first picture) and flip down rear seat, I would be interested in both of these. A little bit of a lift would be nice, but I would still need something to fit in the bed of the truck where there is 49" between the wheel wells (at the bottom, tapers out a little going up the well).

We would want headlights and tail lights on what ever we get. Speed wise (I am just guessing what is in the right range for a cart), something that can max out around maybe 20 or 25 (with maybe a speed limiting switch)? Although more times than not in the campgrounds we will not need the speed (I was thinking of that for going around our neighborhood).

We are leaning towards EZGO Electric.

I have been trying to read up as much as I can. What are advantages/disadvantages of the following?
PSD or Series Motor
48V vs. 36V (I read al lot about people talking about 48V upgrades)
ClubCar/EZGO/Yamaha

I am looking for some guidance on what to look for and ask about when looking.

Thanks,

Jeff
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
tunnelmike
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Advice/Suggestions for a new to us Cart

Welcome Jeff. I sometimes carry my lifted ezgo in my 150 shortbed like you show. Instead of rerouting the support cable i would use ratchet straps(the small ones) from the tailgate to the hole in the front side of the stake pocket on the bed rail. I have a bed so gate clearance was never an issue. With the 6" drop axel my cart has and 22" mudbusters there are no problems with the fenders. After dropping my elect cart on the tailgate of my F350 using 2x10 with the metal tabs i was educated to the fact of how much cheaper good ramps are than a tailgate replacement ! I have the arched set that will also load a lawn mower without dragging the deck.

My answer to the brand question was to find the closest cart to what i wanted it to end up like for the best price seeing new was not in my budget. I wanted one lifted with larger tires and a bed so thats what i looked for. 99% of the time you can buy one done much cheaper than you can buy the parts to d i y. I knew i was going to modify the electrics so the age of the cart was not as important to me as to some. I'm pretty certian ezgo didn't offer a 48v txt , but someone else will chime in to verify.

Afriend of mine T-Rex remade his top supports out of tubing that would telescope and then you put a pin in at desired height. That allowed the front of the top to be below the rear of the truck roof with the rear angled up as a deflector. I went to Tenn to pick my lifted cart up and in the 04 350 the milage up empty and back loaded was noticably differant. Rex traveled a lot with his and the loss of milage was attributed to the roof catching all the air. The milage righted itself when he modified the roof. Good luck and i hope i have answered some of your questions. Mike
tunnelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Definately go with the arched ramps for length and no dragging and less angle.

rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
VAJeff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Definately go with the arched ramps for length and no dragging and less angle.

I have ordered a pair of these in 9 1/2 feet. They do have an arch to them, along with what should be plenty of length.

http://www.longramps.com/golfcartramps.html
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Kessler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAJeff View Post

His cart has a folding foot board (flipped up in the first picture) and flip down rear seat, I would be interested in both of these.

Jeff
Do you have any idea where he got the folding foot board and seat?
Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

tunnelmike,
If you are patient and search every day for the right deals, You can do a cart up for the right price. I have 1800 total in my '97 EZGO TXT gas with a clone engine, 22" tires and a 5" lift. I got the cart with a dead engine and a flip seat for 5 hundred and went from there.
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

here is a cart done for half what was available locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0698.jpg (184.1 KB, 5 views)
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
VAJeff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
Do you have any idea where he got the folding foot board and seat?
Go to the bottom of this page, http://www.mmvehicles.com/conv/EC/EC_conversions.htm.

If the cart is lifted, the tail gate should not come in contact with the foot board at all.

Here is a picture of the one we just bought loaded in the back of our F350 Standard Bed.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Kessler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAJeff View Post
Go to the bottom of this page, http://www.mmvehicles.com/conv/EC/EC_conversions.htm.

If the cart is lifted, the tail gate should not come in contact with the foot board at all.

Here is a picture of the one we just bought loaded in the back of our F350 Standard Bed.

Thanks!
Very nice cart,post up more of the cart pics when you can.
Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
VAJeff
Not Yet Wild

Here are some pictures of the new to us cart:

IT's primary purpose in life will be to go to the campgrounds with our RV and to play around in our neighborhood.

I picked it up from the shop on the morning of the 23rd, and kept it in a neighbors garage until Christmas Eve night after my daughter went to bed. Then transferred it to our garage to surprise her on Christmas morning!

Now we can not wait for the camping season to start up!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO