lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
OTTO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G-16 8:1 gears

Ok so Ive got an 01 G16 with a Jakes 6in lift and 22" tires. Ive put the clutch spring in as well. Im planning to put a Vtwin in it soon. Thoughts on high speed gears???? Mistake? Is it going to rob all the torque I have on the stock motor for now??? I cant fins anything on here showing or helpful hints on the install of the gears... Thanks in advance fellas!!
OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: G-16 8:1 gears

I would wait on the gears if you are going to BB it. You can always put them in afterwards if you still think you need to. Spend the money on a better, bigger clutch like CPP's Team roller, a high rev kit etc. You will probably have all the speed you can handle without the gears! and if you're like most of us, you will take the torque spring back out and put the stock one back on. You won't need it anymore for torque, and it helps get to speed faster without it.

PS If you decide to do it, here's the basics for Yamaha. They may be a little different for a 16, but you get the idea:

Take the muffler/cables/clutch off then take each axle off, then remove the trans. To get into trans remove governor arm, c clip on input shaft, and a plug you loosen at bottom of case. Then split case. The carrier will come out and you can unbolt the old ring gear and put the new one on.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
OTTO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Should I send the gears back??? just pulled them out of the box and took the wax off.
OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Guess that's up to you. Nothing wrong with having them put in, you will still have plenty of torque when you BB it.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If your serious about a bigblock I would do that first. They have so much more tourque. Then you can add upgrades (like tourque spring or gears) to fine tune the car you want it to be. As for the gear install, Tom at CPP ,I and others can install them with the Dana transaxle installed in the car. I would recommend a new gasket for the transaxle side case , just in case the old one gets damaged when removeing. Remove the wheels, the splined axle hubs,the axle bearing circlip and pull the axle out. Remove the rear diff cover bolts use a putty knife to pry off the cover. Remove the 4 carier bolts that hold the "diff/ring gear" assy, remove the old ring gear and replace with new ring gear and tourque to 40 ft lbs. Now comes the side case, remove the secondary clutch parts (nut/washer/fixed sheave/woodruff key/plastic washer/sliding sheave/spring/spring seat/circlip or spacer), remove side case bolts, remove shifter shaft set screw/spring and ball bearing (a 90 degree flat blade screw driver and a magnet work well), pull the side case (hopefully the input shaft and all the gear sets and spacer washers will stay in place), remove the end washer/reverse gear/dog clutch/shifter fork/counter shaft with forward gear and it's end washer. Install the new gear on the shaft and then the end washer, install the shifter fork and dog and the reverse gear and end washer. The rest is as you took it apart to reassemble. With a new gasket if your old one was damaged. Last note, high speed gears can be an aset or a liability....if my customers want to go fast.....I still recommend Tom's CPP govenor speed spring. Let us know what you decide.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha