lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Old3Leg
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart has No Power - No Noise

I volunteer for Youth Baseball. We have an old mid 1980s 3 Wheel 36V EZ-Go Cart. We Fix little things here and there but WE'RE STUMPED NOW!

The Cart stopped working recently.

Charger said it was OK. The Solenoid Clicked. No movement with pedal.

A friend jumped the Solenoid and said it moved when peddle pushed.

I put in a new solenoid and tried it. It SPARKED BIG TIME at the MAIN FRONT POSITIVE Terminal??? Wow...

Check wiring of everything (took a picture prior to replacing) and it's all good.

Tried pressing pedal again and little sparks. No good.

I replaced a few cables and cleaned them up and REPLACED BATTERY that sparked (terminal connection worn).

NOTHING. No noise or movement.

Called my Cart Mechanic - he couldn't find it.

THE SOLENOID shows 37.5 or so volts on BOTH SIDES of the main screws. I thought that was odd? The two other smaller screws control the volts I believe.

Put the OLD SOLENOID back on to see if it would work or at least click but nothing... he thinks it might be the throttle sensor/switch. The wire leading to it was only 17volts but when he jumped it to give it 37-38v it didn't do anything.

SHOULD the Solenoid be showing voltage on both main Terminals all the time and why the Main Positive Spark and then nothing? Short somewhere? I don't think there is any fuse??

Thank you!
Old3Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Old3Leg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart has No Power - No Noise

I forgot to mention that the load tests on the batteries were fine.

A couple terminals looked bad when I first connected the batteries after replacing the Solenoid but I didn't see any type of small spark hooking the battery up (that we took out to replace Solenoid)...

and I'VE NEVER SEEN a spark when pressing the Pedal before....

Doesn't seem to be Battery or Cable Issue. Just dead but getting juice to Solenoid and Controller.

I don't think it matters which way the diode faces on the two small terminals on the Solenoid. It has a silver line on the end. Could it be one way only??
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

the diode band must face the pos. small terminal. on the large posts, you should only have voltage on one side when the pedal is not pressed. if you have voltage on both, the sol. is bad. pull off one of the cables and check continuity between the large posts. should be none. the solenoid is just a switch. when you energize the small posts, this causes the contacts to close between the large posts. also, i would pull and clean all of the cables and terminals.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

mid 80,s and has a controller? regardless yes the diode has to face the right way the silver band towards positive....chances are you fried the diode so it will need replaced........be careful when jumping soleniod...one rear wheel off ground and key off until you get jumper set than turn key on and press pedal..........you can take diode off altogather and than jump soleniod to see if cart works but if you use diode it has to be right......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We need some clarification. AN 80s 3 wheeler does not have a solid state speed controller. What are the last 2 digits of the manufacture code? They will give the yr.
Do you mean speed wiper board when you say controller? Here is a picture of each below.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3297.jpg (177.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4116.jpg (154.0 KB, 7 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Old3Leg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys.

It looks like the picture on the right? What I called the Controller has two large terminals on the top and three small wires that plug in next to those. Mounts Vertically. Looks like a brick. From there the wires lead to Motor?

What is that?

The Solenoid is mounted Vertically with Two Large Bolts and two small ones on top. 200 amp.

I probably put the Diode in with the Silver Line pointing towards the black wire (negative?) and that was wrong.

Would a Diode cause all this trouble.

I put the old Solenoid back on and the new one on and they both have voltage on both sides of the Large Positive Terminals. That's WITH or WITHOUT the Pedal down.

There is no juice to the Orange Wire leading to the small terminal or black - with or without pedal down.

The Red Wire leading to the Pedal Sensor has about 18 volts. Nothing from Orange coming from that to Solenoid.

I've been thinking it was a short in the Board(?) or Motor.

I'd be surprised if the diode caused a short somewhere??

Seems like the Solenoid is closed sending juice threw at all times?

The Wire leading to what I call the Controller or Brick from Solenoid has 37 volts. The other is the negative and 0.

I'm at the point of replacing the cart all together??
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Old3Leg
Not Yet Wild

It's a Marathon Controller for 1989-199? Carts.

It looks like this..

http://www.bakerscartsupply.com/prod....asp?prod=465B

Black - Large Positive / Negative Connectors and Three Plug in Wires.

I guess the question is....

Was the original Solenoid Bad (as my friend said by jumping it - said the car moved with pedal down)...

And when I put in the new Solenoid with Diode on Backwards... the sparking on the Main Positive Battery Terminal was a result?

After that the System was Shorted Somewhere all because of a little Diode? Or the Solenoid is busted with juice flowing through all the time now...

Or was there a short somewhere in the System like Motor or Controller that is the main problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no you don,t need to replace the cart.....have you put a new diode in? if not do so it might just be all........sounds as if soleniod was welded open ?? try the diode and or a soleniod..........by the way that pic of the brick yes thats a controller..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Old3Leg
Not Yet Wild

I was thinking about getting a new Solenoid and Diode and trying it but the Solenoid is $90 in Honolulu. The Diode is only $3.

I thought I read that the Solenoid would still work without the Diode - it's just a safety feature or something like that. Kinda like the other thing that looks like Gum with two wires sticking out on the other side attached to the Two Large Terminals (positives) :-)) I think that is to keep it from arcing.

I would be amazed if the little Diode would really make that much of a difference???

Thank god they don't use that stuff anymore on the outside - at least not on my 48V Yamaha at the house. I had to replace that Solenoid 6 months ago for the first time.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

the arcing on the large pos. battery post was probably due to bad connection. on the solenoids, since you have one off, check for continuity between the large posts. the gum looking thing is a resistor and it can go either way. when testing continuity on the cart, pull all the wires, including the resistor, off one terminal. it should also be zero.
you should pull clean and tighten all the cable connections also.
just noticed you have no power to the small terminal with the pedal down. you need to check in the pedal box. looks like you must have a 94 or newer conversion on your cart. there should be a micro switch in the pedal box and it can go bad.
can you post a picture of your battery and controller set up?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, solenoid, spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO