lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
joelmcf
Not Yet Wild

Default OT: Normal charger behavior for 36V system?

BGW'ers,

Joel here from Texas. I posted a few months back about jumpstarting my 36V forklift with my 36V EZGO. Good news -- both are back and operation with minimal drama.

I have a Lestronic II charger, model 07850 (36V, 12.5 AC amps, 25 DC amps, type 36LCC25-8ET) that I purchased from the previous owner with my Crown forklift. I pulled the 18 cell battery pack this weekend only to find the cells almost dry and added 12 gallons of distilled water to the batteries.

I have to trick the charger to engage b/c the batteries didn't provide the proper charge feedback. I used jumper cables from my 36V EZGO to trick the charger. I was able to remove the jumper cables and the Lestronic charger continued to operate.

W/o the charger, the 36V pack registered 19.9V. With the charger running, it is pushing 42.2V. Every hour or two, the charger stops charging. The voltage is creeping up to 22.1V, 24.2V, etc. over the past few cycles. I again have to jump the battery pack to get the charger to engage before it runs for an hour or so.

[Q.] I know this is OT and not typical but with all the experts here, I though it is worth a try. Do you know the minimum charge needed to trigger the Lestronic to receive the proper level to charge? Is the behavior indicative of a charger overheading? Am I playing with fire using a cart charger to charge to major fork lift fuel cell (36V but tons of amps)?

I'm just trying to get it operational so I can do some light work around the shop. The $2500 price tag for a new battery pack is WAY outside my budget.

Thanks for your expertise.
joelmcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: OT: Normal charger behavior for 36V system?

Rule of thumb is 2/3 of the charger rating.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO