lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default Re: ITS / Pot Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
No moving parts in an ITS ????

The superior part of the ITS is that there is no real friction or wear. The piston rod moves back and forth within the feild coil but does not touch it so there is nothing to wear out. In a potentiometer there is a copper wiper running across a carbon coated board that will eventually wear out.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
No moving parts in an ITS ????

OK. You got me. No electric wipers. The iron core doesn't touch the electric circuit in any way, shape or form.

Think of this from an electron's perspective.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: ITS / Pot Box.

I have seen ITS switches that rub the sides of the switch and still work. I've even bent the pedal rod to make them go inside the ITS and they run.
How does somene bend that rod is what I want to know.
Also the ITS is slower responding than a pot.
Andy4639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I have seen ITS switches that rub the sides of the switch and still work. I've even bent the pedal rod to make them go inside the ITS and they run.
How does somene bend that rod is what I want to know.
Also the ITS is slower responding than a pot.
Get an old rusty beach cart and you'll see the rod bend! In fact, the whole pedal box assembly can rot right off of the frame!!!

The ITS coil I'm using now had the rod bent + the potting material has a big crack in it. It still works fine! I honestly don't know what would ever cause one to go bad, unless the controller shorted out in the low current section.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
..........Also the ITS is slower responding than a pot..........
Maybe, but it would be measured in milliseconds.
I suspect that any discernible difference would be in the turn-on ramp rate programmed into the controllers, but I might be wrong.

@ simple man:
Yes, switching the + & - leads will change of from a 0-5K to a 5K-0 pot, just make sure the center lead is the wiper.
(Don't ask how I know, or how much smoke I've released when I didn't check.)

@ yurtle:
I'm with you on this, but I think there might be some mechanical or other outside issues obscuring the electrical superiority of the ITS.
I can't remember ever having to replace a noisy inductive sensor or Hall Effect device, but I've cleaned or replaced hundreds, if not thousands, noisy pots.
Might even be EMI problems. Controllers are PWM devices and if some carts generate enough electrical noise to interfere with some radios, there might be enough EMI to induce some noise in an ITS.
I think I'll wrap my ITS box in copper screen and hang a discharge strap on it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Maybe, but it would be measured in milliseconds.
I suspect that any discernible difference would be in the turn-on ramp rate programmed into the controllers, but I might be wrong.

@ simple man:
Yes, switching the + & - leads will change of from a 0-5K to a 5K-0 pot, just make sure the center lead is the wiper.
(Don't ask how I know, or how much smoke I've released when I didn't check.)

@ yurtle:
I'm with you on this, but I think there might be some mechanical or other outside issues obscuring the electrical superiority of the ITS.
I can't remember ever having to replace a noisy inductive sensor or Hall Effect device, but I've cleaned or replaced hundreds, if not thousands, noisy pots.
Might even be EMI problems. Controllers are PWM devices and if some carts generate enough electrical noise to interfere with some radios, there might be enough EMI to induce some noise in an ITS.
I think I'll wrap my ITS box in copper screen and hang a discharge strap on it.
That seems to attract lightning!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
That seems to attract lightning!
So does my Tinfoil Hat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
So does my Tinfoil Hat.
Oh, for sure!
Definitely don't mix the hat and the strap, that's sure to create disaster!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the bottom line here is in your username ......

Either throttle input will work for 99% of the carts and do a comparable job. As noted the pot has more moving parts and is more likely to wear with use or corrode/rust or otherwise fail with age, all pots do. I have seen plenty of 20yr old units still in service ( I'm talking golf carts, now) In conclusion...... considering the beast of a cart you have... I think whatever you have on hand that talks to whatever controller you have will work just fine
I don't mean to be a smartass but it seems amusing to tell you to keep it simple, man
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: ITS / Pot Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Get an old rusty beach cart and you'll see the rod bend! In fact, the whole pedal box assembly can rot right off of the frame!!!

The ITS coil I'm using now had the rod bent + the potting material has a big crack in it. It still works fine! I honestly don't know what would ever cause one to go bad, unless the controller shorted out in the low current section.
I have bought my share of beach carts. I have 2 of my own there now. I have 1 there I just bought last weekend.
Andy4639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO