lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v txt getting a facelift

I dropped off my series cart earlier this morning. I am getting a 5" lift, 10" wheels with 22" tires, replacing the long roof with a standard roof and roof rack, and having the motor removed to be sent to plum quick to hopefully gain some speed.

I'd love tips on what I am missing here. With the new motor what else do I need?
EdistoAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v txt getting a facelift

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking this question. If you're lifting, you'll need bigger cables, (4gauge minimum), a heavy duty F&R switch, (or at least the paddle with the contacts), and seriously consider and new HD solenoid and controller. In other words, bring the rest of the drive system up to the standard of the motor you are installing and the wheels you have installed.
You say you have "dropped it off". If you are talking about the typical golf cart sales place, they probably won't tell you to repalce everything. There are two possible reasons. They don't want to scare you with the cost or, they don't know any better themselves. Walk around and look at their carts they have for sale. Have they upgraded anything under the seat? If not, you may want to consider another mechanic. I didn't know any better before, but now that I do, I look just to see if these "dealers" have any idea what they are building. My experience, so far, says most of them don't.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So if I don't, (not saying I wont- just asking the question) what happens? Is it a performance loss? or a fire hazzard? Both? Something else?

I want to do this the "right" and safe way, but I want to be reasonable too. This cart is a beach buggy, I want to "get it up to speed" then buy another cart to use at home, beach, hunting, and to get a little wild on the customization.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes and yes. You will almost certainly see a loss of performance and there is a very real risk of a fire hazard. Most especially if you are going to be using it on the beach. Compared to a paved surface, beach driving can add two to six times the resistance to the carts motion. The more roling resistance you have, the more power the cart is going to require just to get moving.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the info. I will look into completing the system

To be more specific on the cart, my beach buggy will be road only though, EB is not a drivable beach.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is my cart, as it stands today.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, I am going to buy these cables, since the rep here is good for the site.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

Is there a reason to spend $30 for the 2g or are the 4g sufficient.

Also the F/R switch here, http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html

Does the $69 upgrade do the job I need or do I need to buy the $169 switch?

Should I hold off on the motor and do all this first?

Thanks for the help and please pardon my inexperience.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Basically an increase in tire size from 18" stock to 22-23" lifted cart tires is a final drive ratio increase of about 30-35%.
This will result in a noticeable loss of power. The cart's stock 275-300 amp drive system is designed for a simple cart on a groomed golf course.
Essentially you will need to increase your torque 30% just to get back to the way it ran BEFORE the big tires went on.
A bigger speed controller will allow the motor to draw more amperage. This increase in amperage requires an increase in all the pathways it travels from the batteries to the motor.
The amperage delivery system consists of all the cables in the cart, the F&R switch (series carts only), and the solenoid. These are the components you must upgrade to insure trouble free delivery of maximum amperage (voltage) to your motor. Any reduction in the delivery results in reduced performance. Any restriction in delivery results in heat. Heat enough to start fire in some cases.

The average rear seat weighs 150 pounds and holds 2 passengers. In some cases this can add 500 pounds to the carts working load. All of these things need to be considered when asking yourself if you need to upgrade the drive system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I replaced the entire f/r on my cart cause it was a 96. I saw a difference off the bat just in putting the switch and 4g cables for me. My plan is to upgrade controller/solenoid later in the year. I too have a 5" lift with 10" rims and 22" tires with a back seat.
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
EdistoAndrew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, so a quick update... the lift and tires are on.

I just ordered a 4g wire kit and a F/R switch upgrade from Scottyb.

I am ready to get to work, just have to wait on the parts to get from California to South Carolina.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO