lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 EZGO Electric MPT 100 charging issue

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I just bought a 2005 EZGO mpt 1000 electric golf cart and am having a few problems.

The golf cart will not charge, I have traced the common problem areas on the wiring harness and found two bad connections, both where 3 red wires come together. Thought this would fix it... wrong! So I'm charging each battery individually to make sure they have the necessary voltage to activate the charger, cleaned all the connections and terminals, and used an ohm meter to check all the wires for the batteries for a bad connection, nothing. Hopefully the battery charge will help the cart charger kick in, but the battery gauge reads 3 bars from full. This is the second charger that has been tried, and this one I was told worked before it was given to me to try. It is a Yamaha 48v charger with indicator lights instead of a gauge.

Now the second issue it has is that it won't move. The beeper works when in reverse but no movement, and no obvious click from the solenoid but I haven't had my head real close yet if its a quiet click. The cart has a Curtis 1264-5407 sepex which flashes a 2-5 code if I'm reading it correctly which is VDD fault, replace controller. Is the controller really shot or could it be a wiring issue somewhere? I got this cart from a guy who had it stored out in his barn for the winter, then pulled it out to sell me. Said everything worked last year when he parked it, but I've heard that before.

My other problem is minor at the moment, none of the headlights or taillights work on it. I haven't even started looking at these yet though!

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Also, any links for manuals and diagrams would be much appreciated!

If needed, the serial number on the frame is 2310274

Thanks
PineGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 05 EZGO Electric MPT 100 charging issue

Here's a link to a parts manual.

http://www.bennettgolfcars.ca/ezgo_manuals.php

I don't know much about a MPT and don''t have a schematic, but charging the batteries should be a pretty straight forward process since the battery pack appears to be 8x6V in series for 48V.

If the batteries sat for the winter, they are most likely shot.
What is the voltage at the cart's charger receptacle?

BTW - That serial number comes back as a 2005 Gas TXT on the EZGO look-up site.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnnie, I'm gonna replace the acid in the batteries before I charge them up and see if it helps any. I'm hoping to not have to buy new batteries, but if I must, I must. Any idea what kind of short could cause the volts direct current fault code the controller is giving me, or does that just mean its shot? I found a guy in Atlanta who rebuilds them for $150. Is this a good price, or is it so cheap I should be worried about it being a scam?

BTW, I went and retyped the serial # in on the site, and it showed me 2005 MPT 1000. Any chance you mistyped or is there an issue???

Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I Cut&Pasted the S# in your post.
Just did it again and got this: Model Year: 2005 Make/Model: TXT Standard
Maybe EZGO website doesn't like the way I Cut&Paste.

What happens when batteries sit in a discharged or partially discharged state is the the Amorphous Lead Sulfate that is part of the normal Charge/Discharge chemical reactions, becomes Crystalline Lead Sulfate and will no longer convert back to Lead, Lead dioxide and Sulfuric acid, no matter how much charging current is passed through the batteries.

This condition is commonly referred to as sulfated plates.

I'm not sure if replacing the acid will help much since all the sulfate ions that ever existed in those batteries, probably still exist in the, but in a no longer usable form, now being trapped in the the lead and lead dioxide plates.

On a positive note, I don't think it'll hurt those batteries any.

As for the controller, I'd talk to some of the site sponsors. The $150 rebuild sorta sounds too good to be true.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

FSIP rebuilds them and has repair/exchanges.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

Well I'm not just gonna change the acid, I'm going to use an epsom salt/distilled water solution to clean the plates. supposedly you replace the acid with this solution and its supposed to clean the sulpher off the lead plates with a 24 hr charge. I've had luck in the past, but those were standard 12v car batteries. I'm not sure if there's a difference w/6v or not but will see. looks like 3 batteries won't hold a charge for more than a day.

I was skeptical about the screaming deal I found for $150, when the next closest was $359 I think. I'll check out the sponsor sites now.

thanks again!

Are there any common problems with the lighting system on ezgo carts that I should start with to find the headlight/taillight issues?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

my mistake, The serial was 2310276 not 74..... **** fat fingers! lol
Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

So, after giving the batteries the 'treatment' I have saved 4 of the 6 that wouldn't hold a charge. Can I just hook up a 12v car battery to replace the other 2 that won't charge simply for testing purposes? I plan on replacing all the batteries once I have the money, but I just want to make sure it just needs batteries, and not a controller and a charger also. Checked the wiring and found a few more bad connections, and cleaned the whole thing up, looks much better finally! Does anyone know a place that sells inexpensive batteries, even if I should only expect a year or two out of them?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
PineGrove
Not Yet Wild

So I charged up 6 6v batteries and hooked up a 12v car battery to see if it would work and it moved!!! I am so glad I don't need a controller!!! Now to figure out why the charger still won't turn on. Anyone have any tips for testing a yamaha 48v charger?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO