lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broke another...

NicE!!! Maybe i can avoid the
Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Replaced the snubber tonight, finally!! Easy enough job!! Hopefully it helps with the breaking plugs
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #23
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Not to drag this back up from the dead or anything......but was thinking of this thread the other day as I replaced the Snubber on my '96 DS. My old snubber basically broke in half and the top portion was gone. Because it was half the normal size I was able to pop it out with no effort at all and got started on installing the new one.

I didn't get lucky and have the bolt together option like what Cmoney found on his cart. The piece that the snubber mounts to was welded to the engine pan (as well as bolted, I assume added insurance if one or the other was to break) and there was no easy way to get it out.

I tried some messing around with the jack and jack stands first to see if I could get lucky and squeeze the new snubber in by raising the front of the pan and forcing it on there. I came close once but that was all, no luck with that method. I realized that I was going to have to unbolt some of the rear suspension.

I didn't want to mess with the front bolts for the leaf springs becuase during my lift install they were a pain in he butt to get out. So I started with the rear.

I unbolted the rear eyelets of the leaf springs and unhooked the shocks. I lifted the chassis up and hoped that being able to drop the rear end farther down would allow me the access I needed to get the new snubber on. Failed to realize that as you lower the rear end down it actually moves forward a bit and my clearance was actually getting smaller and smaller as the rear end got lower. I messed around for a while trying to find the perfect angle for the chassis, raising and lowering the chassis/rear end while running around the cart and moving jack stands and floor jacks. Basically just trying anything and everything thinking I was making some sort of progress but actually just wasting time.

Realizing I was defeated I resorted to the option I was trying to avoid. I started to unbolt the front of the springs. Much to my surprise they came out quick and easy and once they were out I just slid the entire rear end back a few inches, popped on the new snubber and put everything back together. Once it was all back together I laughed at myself for not just doing that in the first place, would have been way quicker and easier!!

Oh well, live and learn I suppose. Moral of the story is when in doubt just do it the right way the first time and don't try to "save time" or do it the "easy way".

Also, if you are working on an old cart and doing a lift, just replace the snubber as you do the lift since you already have the rear end all out anyways :)
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

When I saw this thread pop up, I thought... "NOT AGAIN!!!"

To add to Shoelessejoes post,
When you get the leaf spring bolts out, It's not a bad idea to use Anti-Seize on the bolt shafts to prevent squeaks,
and the dreaded... rusting of the bolt to the bushing sleeves!

My buddies 94 snubber bracket was also welded on, he somehow was able to get the snubber on without removing anything!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^

I was close to getting it on without having to remove anything. I got it started on the bracket but couldn't get it any farther. I don't doubt that somebody could get lucky enough to get it on there. I'm just not that lucky.......
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #26
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Shame yours doesn't just unbolt... that made it a 15 min job for me. I would have probably just ground off the welds and unbolted it if it had both.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

Yeah, that would have been nice. :)

As it was, if I would have just undone the suspension from the start and done it the right way it was probably a 30-40 minute job (undo 4 leaf spring bolts, undo bottom shock bolts, roll back suspension, replace snubber, roll suspension forward, replace bolts).

Guess I like doing things the long way.............
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car