lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is it Legal to tow a trailer behind a camper?

Speaking as a former tow truck driver, I personally know that pulling a trailer behind a pulled vehicle is highly illegal in South Carolina.

If I had to pick up a vehicle with a trailer attached, I had to put the vehicle on the roll back and hook the trailer to the hitch to get it where it needed to go.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
1BDPRECEDENT
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here in the "Lone Star" state they allow us to pull tandem with few restrictions. I built a trailer for the cart and fabricated a hitch on the back of the travel trailer. I have been pulling this way for almost three years now with no issues from the law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tandem.jpg (271.6 KB, 0 views)
1BDPRECEDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
NFlCamper
Not Yet Wild

Research I have come across on a Camping forum points to "SOME" states allowing towing behind a 5th wheel trailer only with a max length of 65 feet. 5th wheel trailers are somehow considered part of the tow vehicle in some states, but a bumper pull is not. As near as I can tell, Texas is the only state where I have heard of anyone pulling 2 bumper pulls.
A RVer on that forum plainly stated the swivel platform add on is considered a trailer here in Florida. A Florida Highway Patrol Officer contacted him at a fuel stop and informed him he could remove the swivel unit (stow it in the trailer or truck or come back and get it) and proceed on Florida roads, but would be ticketed if he saw the RVer on state roads with the swivel unit still attatched.
NFlCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Ronniek
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hello from Lancaster,SC
I've got a buddy that owns a Fab shop & he has made several. Very nice & priced a little over 2k.
Every time we go to the coast camping we see a hand full of campers towing a golfcart behind a camper. Legal in SC? According to the site that Irishjoker posted no, but I've never seen anyone stopped. Just don't draw attention to yourself. :)
Ronniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I pull a small trailer behind my fifth wheel to go camping even though its not legal in NC.
I thought about the swivel trailer because I could make it myself but after measuring my carts I found all were too long to fit cross ways behind my camper. My 3 carts all have rear seat steps and 2 have the rear grab handle and if I remember correctly they were over 9 feet. The leagle limit here is 102 inches wide. I have 2 trailers that are 102" wide and on a lot of secondary roads one wheel is on the center line and one wheel is on the shoulder. Very tight but still not as wide as the cart would be sitting behind my fifth wheel.

You should measure your cart before considering the swivel trailer.....
ncfenceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
cmar143
Gone Wild

That swivel setup looks pretty dangerous to me. Physics tells me that if the weight isnt equal over top of them, the swivels arent welded exactly horizontally and vertically it would easily get wobbling in one if not two of the wheels at higher speeds. Its a good idea but some type of resistance would have to be added to keep the wheels from moving so freely. Just look at what a long trailer does without sway bars and those wheels are moving straight on an axle.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Very interested in this subject too. We have a fifth wheel and was going to get the smallest trailer i could get just big enough for the cart. Maybe a 4x8 or something along those lines and hope for the best. We camp at ocean lakes but its only 180 miles from the house so hopefully if i get anything it will be just a fine without points on my license.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
bubba57-chevy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This past weekend I pulled my BBQ Pit and my cart to a friends lakehouse in Livingston TX, no worries.
bubba57-chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

All of this really just depends on how strictly the state and federal laws are enforced in each individual state by the State Troopers and Motor Carrier officers.
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

they call it triple towing. Column 10 for each state

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO