lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
HitsOutdoors
Not Yet Wild

Default The pivot Post has some function?

I have a 99 Gas cart that I turned into a hunting buggy for my son and I wanted to give it a little more pep. I installed a new belt ,adjusted the throttle pedal rod,zip tied the governor spring as well as loosened the nut on the pivot post and made sure it was free to pivot. While doing the pivot post I noticed the post actually turns about 3/4 of a turn and seems to have a detent on it at about half a turn. After freeing up the pivot elbow I noticed the cart seemed to be a bit flat on torque. So I moved the post about 1/4 a turn the direction it would move with the throttle cable and retightened the elbow on it. That gave the buggy a bit more umph out of the hole. Can someone tell me what function that pivot rod has down inside the transaxle if any?

My intentions are to do the 200 rpm spring,timing advance key ,torque spring and have the drive clutch machined as well as install a 6" lift and some 22s.

Thanks

TOM
HitsOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
dylan schumacher
JUMP IT!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The pivot Post has some function?

i wouldn't tie your governor. might over rev
dylan schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You must be talking about the ground speed govenor in the rear axle? If so that adjust throttle on your engine when you go up and down hills
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
HitsOutdoors
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP View Post
You must be talking about the ground speed govenor in the rear axle? If so that adjust throttle on your engine when you go up and down hills
The throttle linkage on the pedal goes to a black box. From the box is the first section of throttle Cable with a spring on the end that is connected to a 90* bracket that pivots on a rod ( I called it post) that drops into the rear end. If I read the sticky about giving the cart more umph correctly they said to loosen the bolt that holds that bracket onto the rod going into the rear end so that it pivots freely on that rod and to ziptie the spring to where it just keeps the cart from going into the rev limiter. Does that spring and pivot arm only adjust throttle for hill climbing?? Now Im second guessing the power up sticky so Ill go re read it..

Thanks TOM
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The post you refer to is the ground speed govoner built into the rear axle, instead of govonering the engine like on a lawn mower, they put the govoner in the rear axle, once the gov is set up at the factory it adjust engine speed so the cart will maintain a steady speed, lets just say 10 MPH. When the cart starts to climb a hill the rear tires slow down and the internal gov in the axle sences the tires slowing down, the "post" starts to rotate alittle, thus pulling alittle harder on the throttle cable going to the carb, increasing engine RPM to maintain the set ground speed of 10mph. Same is true going down hills, if the cart would start to go over the set point, lets just says 10 mph again then the post would rotate the other direction and decrease throttle on the engine to slow the cart down to the set speed. When you loosen the pivot bolt on the post you are by-passing any speed contol of the cart and engine, thus the gas pedal now only adjust the throttle position of the carburator on the engine. If you use a zip-tie on the spring and set the engine speed to just stay away from the rpm limiter I dont think the carburator will ever open FULL THROTTLE. Look at your carb and see if the thottle is opening all the way if not thats why your not getting the power you had. I have to get ready for work now, i`ll check back after work today, hope this helped explain you question
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
HitsOutdoors
Not Yet Wild

RSP, Thanks a bunch for shedding some light on that for me. I tightened the bracket back on the post and removed the zip tie and the cart seems to take off with more zing now again. I was getting full throttle on the carb , what I did was take the black carb cover off and adjust the throttle cable in the big black pivot box to make sure I had full throttle with the spring zip tied.

Now let me ask you this. Will it make any difference what position I have that ground speed governor post in when I tighten the elbow onto it as far as better torque goes? When moving the post it feels like it has a slight detent about half way through its rotation. For now I just rotated the post clockwise all the way, then retightened that bracket onto it. But since the bracket only moves about 3/4 of an inch from idle to wide open throttle it doesnt move that post the full amount its capable of moving in the counter clockwise direction..

Thanks for your insight..

Tom
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well Tom, It all depends on what you want, As long as the cart reaches the speed you want you can leave it as is. what you feel as a detent, is probably a worn spot in the govenor that meens nothing. When the cart gets up to the speed the factory has built the gov to kick in it will start to rotate that shaft and shut the throttle down, most people just set it so it does not interfear with wide open throttle when the cart is up to top speed, if you want to bring the gov back into play we can do that also, let me know. RSP

you can turn the key OFF, hold the gas pedal to the floor and then tighten the pivot bolt, that should set everything ok and by-pass the govenor. then i would adjust the throttle cable in the black box just so that when you have the gas pedal to the floor, carb is full open. at that point you should have full speed and full torque. Next thing that will come into play will be the engine RPM limiter, now if the engine rev`s to high it will shut the spark plug down at a factory set limit and will turn the spark plug back on when the engine slows down and reaches what the factory feels is a good point to turn it back on. Some people learn to let up on the throttle just before it shuts the engine down, some eliminate the rpm limiter all together..
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
HitsOutdoors
Not Yet Wild

RSP, Thanks for the helpful replies. Ive been tied up a few days and have not had time to get on the forum to check for your last reply.

I will play around with the postion of the governor post to see how it feels. I have disconnected the RPM limiter box because it seemed to shut the spark down a ton sooner than Id like. I know they have it set so low to ensure longevity of the engine. I dont let it get running fast enough to spin to the moon but it definitely runs a lot faster getting it up over the stock limiter a bit.

It will be a few days before I can play with it a bit more. I tore the suspension apart to install a 6" spindle lift and found my spring bushings to be shot so I ordered the 8 new bushings and 4 through bolts and sleeves as well as new front and rear shocks. I figured while its apart I might as well do IT ALL.. But I wont get the additional parts to reassemble it until probably Tuesday.

I also noticed with the body lifted the original air intake tube from the stock box to the carb intake isnt going to be long enough. What do you guys use for a replacement intake tube when you do lifts??

Thanks TOM
Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Radiator hose??
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A radiator hose is too stiff! (tried it!)

Here's a link for an intake mod:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ubcar-gas.html

Which gets you this!:

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car