lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
deltaboy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default wires getting hot

just bought a 79 ezgo, im guessing that makes it a marathon, 36 volt system. dont know much at all about these things but learning. the previous owners told me the wires were getting hot and need to be replaced. sure enough the wires are in bad shape and corroded from sitting up . my question is, could they have overheated like that just from age or is there something else that i should look at that may have caused them to over heat?
deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: wires getting hot

Yes, If they are old wires.. they will get HOT easy. I'm actually impressed that the cart still runs.. I would replace ALL of them. What size are they? I would replace with 4 g. you will see a huge imrovement in the cart and how the heat issue is controlled.. good luck..
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

yes old cables that are corroded, and cables ends, and a loose cable at the battery connection will cause this, you need a new set of no less than 4 ga cables, and NOT cables from the auto store,, check with our sponsors they have nice cables. for your cart,, how old are the batteries

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So if this happens from old cables, would you get a "burning smell" if they heated up too much?
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
So if this happens from old cables, would you get a "burning smell" if they heated up too much?
Yes,, but with a cart this old it has a resistor coil set up, not a controller, and when the coils heat up to burn off unwanted power they will smell like something is burning if your are going slow for a long time
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, tony... a burning smell could mean you have somw arching going on..
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 96 EZGO with a F/R lever and a Torque/Speed lever, I went to move it real quick and have both levers in the "neutral position" (in the middle) and pressed on the accelerator. WHen I did not move after the initial panic I realized I had to move the levers. When I finished moving it I smelled the burning and could not find a warm wire right away.

Sorry for the hi-jack, just trying to learn
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
deltaboy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

dont worry bout the hi-jack Tony. im learning too. all the battery cables are 4 ga but all the ones connecting to the motor and the ones that go to the resistor are what looks to be 8 ga. i dont know how old the batteries are. they are definitely not new. thanks for all the advice.
deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaboy View Post
dont worry bout the hi-jack Tony. im learning too. all the battery cables are 4 ga but all the ones connecting to the motor and the ones that go to the resistor are what looks to be 8 ga. i dont know how old the batteries are. they are definitely not new. thanks for all the advice.
All the high current cables should be the same gauge.
By design, the resistor coils will get hot, but the cables shouldn't.
Replacing the cables that are getting hot will increase Speed and Torque.
How much improvement depends on how bad the cables are.

When fully charged, a 36V battery pack should measure 38.2V about 12 hours after the charger shuts off.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
Get a cheap point and shoot infra-red thermometer from Harbor Freight. Very handy for finding hot spots
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO