lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Culln5
Getting Wild

Default 12V to 8V Conversion Controversy

So if you read my other post (Got a deal? Exide Batteries), then you know I recently purchased 6 - 8V Exide batteries pretty cheap. What I didn't mention is that my Precedent is currently running 4 -12V's.....

After reading multiple posts for and against replacing the 12's with 8's I'm still undecided if I have to replace anything else. Is there a definative answer? Replace nothing? Replace the OBC? What?

George
Culln5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 12V to 8V Conversion Controversy

i'll be watching this one
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
rib33024

Here's some info on that,,,

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-part-1-a.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Culln5
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I've read that several times and wasn't quite sure about a couple things...

- My cart (07 Precedent) has the regen brake. Does this need to be disabled? How would I do it? Speedylink?

- I have a Powerdrive 3 charger. Is this the correct charger for the 8's?

George
Culln5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
hacleme
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You won't regret the conversion. As far as replacing items that boils down to what you prefer. From the post many have done nothing but the conversion. Others replaced obc (v5 or 5.5), and some eliminated the obc. I tried every method for comparison sake and after many soc readings (during the charge and after) & speaking to Trojan tech I settled on removal of the obc and purchased a DPI charger.
BUT...
If I had not gone to the T890 and used the T875 or 860 battery/equivalent I would have used the factory charger and any obc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
hacleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I am not sure there is really much to ad to that thread, My upgrade is about 9 months or so old, using original OBC with PD2 charger and everything is working fine. I have Trojan 875's. As was already stated T890's might need the PD3 charger.

But if you were concerned about the charger and the OBC, I would definotely consider bypassing the OBC and getting a DPI charger, that would run about $268.

But my system works fine so I am leaving it the way it is for now. BTW, I periodically check the bats with a voltmeter and it charges up to 65 volts and settles around 50.9.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Checked bats 48 hours after charging and it was at 50.6, checked after 18 holes and it was 50.3.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some voltmeters are off by up to 1/2 a volt so your 50.6 reading may actually been a 100% charge. No matter what the voltmeter error is your comparison of 50.6 and after 18 holes 50.3 indicates only a 0.3v drop even if your meter is out of cal. Excellent batteries!
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Hornsta
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm with Speedchaser I only changed batteries (4x12v to 6x8v) same charger, OBC and all shutting down at the correct voltage, works fine.
Hornsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I golfed Monday and charged after, checked Tuesday morning and reading was 53, checked later in day and read 50.9, checked Wednesday before golf and read 50.6, so I think they tend to drop a little just sitting.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car