lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Eddybud
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO Medalist MICROSWITCH STICKING OPEN

First a big thank you to Johnnie B and Scotty B who were both invaluable to me in getting my cart up and running again . It was a bad controller after all. I have a new issue however - my microswitch keeps getting stuck open for some reason. When i first looked under the panel i noticed that the little roller piece was stuck in the forward position and very loose so i replaced it. After driving the cart a few times the switch did the same thing and i could not stop the cart from going at full throttle. ( it got stuck when i was going in reverse by the way which was scary ) . I was wondering what exactly the microswitch does and is my ITS system out of whack or something which might be causing it to get stuck? Any advice would be appreciated.
My cart serial number is J399-1209080.
Eddybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Medalist MICROSWITCH STICKING OPEN

Get a new peddle box ms and check the plunger collar alignment for smooth operation and timing. Yes, timing. A switch that clicks too late with give a lurching start.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Eddybud
Not Yet Wild

Do i need the microswitch or willl the cart run without it? What exactly does it do?
Eddybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You need the microswitch. Download the three manuals, and even if there isn't one for a medalist, the way to adjust the ITS plunger should be the same.

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe I'm missing something......did your throttle stick wide-open, or just the switch? The switch would not cause the cart to stick wide-open. It is there as a safety feature to keep the solenoid from being active in the case that the controller DID fail & stick wide-open, is it not?!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

He said the micro was loose. Its mount isn't very secure, and if it comes loose, it's possible it could keep the plunger from returning to normal with the pedal up.

In any event, it's probably wise to open up the ITS box and see what's going on.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
He said the micro was loose. Its mount isn't very secure, and if it comes loose, it's possible it could keep the plunger from returning to normal with the pedal up.

In any event, it's probably wise to open up the ITS box and see what's going on.
Gotcha!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just speculating. Trouble-shooting is often tough enough, but remote control trouble-shooting...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just speculating. Trouble-shooting is often tough enough, but remote control trouble-shooting...
LOL!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybud View Post
First a big thank you to Johnnie B and Scotty B who were both invaluable to me in getting my cart up and running again . It was a bad controller after all. I have a new issue however - my microswitch keeps getting stuck open for some reason. When i first looked under the panel i noticed that the little roller piece was stuck in the forward position and very loose so i replaced it. After driving the cart a few times the switch did the same thing and i could not stop the cart from going at full throttle. ( it got stuck when i was going in reverse by the way which was scary ) . I was wondering what exactly the microswitch does and is my ITS system out of whack or something which might be causing it to get stuck? Any advice would be appreciated.
My cart serial number is J399-1209080.
Glad to hear you got it going.
What controller did you install, stock DCS or aftermarket DCS replacement?

This is what your cart's serial# says it is:

Make: Medalist
Type: Electric 36 V
Model: Electric Medalist (DCS)
Year: 1999

So when asking questions, describe it as a 1999 Medalist DCS, plus any modifications like aftermarket controller or oversize tires or battery pack voltage other than 36V.

Sounds like two issues.
1. Pedal microswitch. All that switch does is activate the solenoid and power up the controller.
2. Throttle (ITS). The signal from the ITS tells the controller what percentage of the controllers maximum amps to pass to the motor.

When the pedal microswitch is working correctly and adjusted properly, the cart should not move when the pedal is only pushed until the solenoid clicks.

When the plunger that is moved by the pedal is working correctly and adjusted properly, the plunger should not enter the ITS sensor coil before after solenoid clicks and should come completely out of ITS sensor coil when pedal is released.

DCS carts use the same ITS adjustment specs a series cart, however here's the pertinent pages. (The .pdf for the whole manual is too big to post.)

Note: if you have an aftermarket controller, the voltages given do not apply. Use the voltage specs for the aftermarket controller installed.
They may use same sensor, but they feed it different voltages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS - ITS - Abjust Figure E-13.JPG (43.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS - ITS - Adjust Figure E-14.JPG (61.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS - ITS - Adjust Figure E-15.JPG (53.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS - ITS - Testing.jpg (149.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO