lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 gas Club car weak spark

I have a 96 club car gas. It does not have separate igniter on it. It would start great but would quit running when it got hot. I have bench tested the rev limiter and it appears ok. I replaced the coil/igniter and it ran fine for a while, then started the same problem. I now have a very weak spark at the coil wire but not enough to spark the plug. I have tried new plug and bench tested the new coil by continuity and every thing checks out. I am at my wits end on this one. Please help if you can.
Elitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 gas Club car weak spark

well seems a lot of people have viewed this post and no one has any more ideas that me. I have since original post, put 3 new coils on this cart, they each one ran no more than 90 min. each. Coil quits firing plug, weak spark thru tester. Tried several new plugs. When new coil is installed, engine fires and runs immediately. I have all wire disconnected from engine except the kill wire. No rev limited on engine. I find it hard to believe that I have received 3 bad coils from my distributor ordered weeks apart. We are going to install a Kawasaki coil this week instead of the aftermarket coil that all the distributors are selling. If this one dies, does anyone want to buy some cheap scrap metal.???
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Unscrew the plug wire end of the coil wire when this happens. Hold the wire about 3/8 from the engine block to see if you have spark there,. The plug wire end has a resistor built in and sometimes this goes bad. Just throwing one more thing to check. I have had some go bad.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the suggestion, will try that today. I have checked the cap for continuity but it still might be bad. I can install the old type ignitor and get engine to run idle but won't run smooth on acceleration. Probably gonna be just a bad batch of coils. trying original equipt. coil tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

fyi...installed used Kawasaki coil and its running after 4 days...just a bad batch of coils..hopefully this is the last post on this problem.

Tags
gas club car, killing coils, no spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car