lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1996 TXT electric rear diff capacity

I have owned my 1996 for a little over a year now and just today decided to check into the rear diff fluid. I bought a siphon pump at Lowes and my son and I sucked out the nastiest foul smelling dark grey fluid I have ever seen. When I removed the drain plug a little trickle came out so it was just over the bottom edge of the fill hole. We siphoned the rest out and then I made a "rat tail" with a shop towel and stuck in the hole to soak up the last few drops that were in bottom of pan. I know the right way is to remove pan but I thought this would be cleaner to do. So I measured out 10 oz of new SAE 30 weight oil as I have researched that this is the capacity for TXT electric. I used a funnel with plastic tubing attached to get the 30 wt into the fill hole. Only about 8 ounces got in before it started coming out of the fill hole. So I have enough fluid in there that it is able to come out the fill hole but I only added about 8 ounces fresh 30 wt before i had to put plug back in. Is this safe to operate since it came out fill hole or am I going to need to take off all bolts and drop the pan to ensure 10 ounces was added?
ROBinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 TXT electric rear diff capacity

you are safe, I am going to guess that there was still about 2 oz. left in there. if your cart was sitting on the ground, with the plug out, when it starts to dribble out, its full
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks.
ROBinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I use a pump similar to the one shown, to get oil in the differential.
http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-36671-Pennzoil-Transfer/dp/B002M589TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376541452&sr=8-1&keywords=gallon+fluid+pump http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-36671-Pennzoil-Transfer/dp/B002M589TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376541452&sr=8-1&keywords=gallon+fluid+pump

There are pumps that fit on quart sized oil containers, but their stroke volume is miniscule while the gallon size pumps about an ounce per stroke.

Of course, I don't count strokes, I just pump until oil starts leaking out and then put the plug in.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JB! You need to stop posting useful things ... my Amazon wish list is getting too long!
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchCraft View Post
JB! You need to stop posting useful things ... my Amazon wish list is getting too long!
Being fundamentally lazy, I look for labor saving devices and methods.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
lladouce16
Not Yet Wild

hi my Ezgo txt 2012 , shows a small leak from the differential, need to change gasket.
I located the drain plug which is directly under. but cannot located the fill hole/plug.
+what oil is recoomended. tkhs
lladouce16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you have a TXT-48, it has the same differential that EZGO has been using for decades. The TXT-48 service manual refers to manual 28148-G01 (attached) for differential maintenance, but it doesn't specify type or amount of lubricant.

The plug you've found can be used to fill if you have a pump like I described in my post#4 above, or you can fill the pan before installing it.

Drop pan, empty and clean out any metal shavings.

Scrape the gasket off, clean both surfaces and use RTV for a new gasket.

Add about 10 oz of oil to pan and juggle it into place, or use a pump to fill it through the plug hole. Fill until is starts to leak out through threaded hole.

EZGO used SAE 30 motor oil, some people use SAE-30 and STP (or similar) is a 80/20 mix, while others use gear oil. I use full synthetic 75W90 gear oil, which has about the same viscosity as SAE-30 motor oil.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DANA AXLE, 1988-95, 28148G01.pdf (3.93 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO