lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Bjones1030
Not Yet Wild

Default 3 12volt instead of 6 x 6

I just got this cart. Just trying to understand. They converted it to 3 12volt batt instead of 6x6. The charger port is not connected so I charge with a regular batt charger.
The problem is it only last about 20 min on full charge. And the connections behind the forward reverse switch get real hot even smoke. Should I go back to 6x 6? Or is there something I need to replace? First cart idk which way to go.

Thanks in advance
Bjones1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 3 12volt instead of 6 x 6

welcome to BGW
i bet they are not deep cell batteries ...
6x 6v are the best for your cart ..imho
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Bjones1030
Not Yet Wild

Think that will help with burning and getting hot at switch?
Bjones1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the 'pack voltage' of your 3/12s is dropping significantly under load the amp draw will spike and this will cause lots of heat... may even melt the F&R contacts. Put a meter on the pack and run it. A drop of more than 6v should raise an eyebrow.

Likely your 12v batteries are not golf cart batteries..... if they are the car charger is not doing them proper and if they aren't then they won't run the cart properly.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You should examine your F-R switch for the backing having melted and letting the studs sink into it. The connections also may be loose. Regardless, you will probably need a new one! If it got hot enough to smoke, I'll bet it is now shot! As far as the 12V batteries, use them to only test operation! Like "scottyb" said, unless they are true deep cycle batteries made for a golf cart, they won't have near the ampere hour rating for normal use!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
superuo
Not Yet Wild

So I just want to be clear before I do this. I have 4 extra Deep Cycle Marine batteries (all brand new) sitting around. Can I replace the six 6v batteries as long as I run the cabling properly, without doing damage to my components?

Basically 36v is 36v correct? Can I then still use my 36v charger through the receptacle?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just want to make sure I am understanding everything said before I try it in my cart.
superuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
crash test dummy

yes 36v is 36v ... some have used the 12v Deep Cycle Marine batteries
they say they won't last as long as 6x6v cart batteries
yes you can use your 36v charger

4 Deep Cycle Marine batteries ? .. volts ?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm willing to bet the original poster's batteries are either real old Marine batteries and are on their last legs, or they are car batteries and need pulled out A.S.A.P. to keep from causing more damage than it already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuo View Post
I have 4 extra Deep Cycle Marine batteries (all brand new) sitting around. Can I replace the six 6v batteries as long as I run the cabling properly, without doing damage to my components?

Basically 36v is 36v correct? Can I then still use my 36v charger through the receptacle?
Yes, No, Yes, and No.

Yes, you can TEMPORARILY replace your 6 Volt batteries with the Marine batteries as long as you use 3 of them since the marine batteries are 12 Volt AND only if they fit in the battery tray correctly. If the batteries sit on top of the battery tray, they will move around, break expensive parts if you're not careful, and will have a good chance of rubbing a hole in the bottom or side of the battery case.

No, you will not damage your system as long as you keep it to 36 Volts total.

Yes, you can use your charger the same way you use it with the Golf Cart batteries as long as the total pack voltage equals 36 Volts.

No, you will not be happy with the performance of the Marine battery pack compared to a Golf Cart battery pack. You will not have nearly the run time with the Marine batteries and will be replacing them much sooner than you would be the Golf Cart batteries.

I've done the Marine battery pack setup in the past when my Golf Cart batteries went bad, but as soon as I could afford it I bought the correct batteries for my cart.

Hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
superuo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
yes 36v is 36v ... some have used the 12v Deep Cycle Marine batteries
they say they won't last as long as 6x6v cart batteries
yes you can use your 36v charger

4 Deep Cycle Marine batteries ? .. volts ?
I have 4 12v extra but will only use 3. they are 125amps That's less than 1 of my 6v which is 208.

So I can see how they wont last long. Better to sell these and buy new 6v's I guess.

Thanks for the info CRASH TEST and SCOTT H.
superuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch getting hot
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts