lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
rynkshermy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default new alltrax spm controller problem

A friend and I have just started to fix up this 1995 ezgo medalist. I bought it from my brother in law which it has been sitting for about 2 years. I ordered a new alltrax spm 300 amp controller and we have gone through the drawings provided with the controller for 94 and newer and feel confident that we have it wired right. The first test we had no blink codes what so ever on the controller, after removing the ezgo connector and plugging them into the customer connections we now have 4 green blinks, then 1 green blink and 6 reds. "pre-charge failure" I bought and installed a new diode and resistor we ohm'd out the resistor and it still has continuity. I read in another post he just replaced the resistor and everything was fine...... any ideas???
rynkshermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: new alltrax spm controller problem

To properly test a resistor, place your DMM in resistance mode, remove one wire (just to be safe) and measure the resistance.

To test a diode, place it in either diode test, continuity test or resistance mode (depending on meter). You should have open or near infinite resistance or no continuity in one direction. Now reverse the two meter leads and test the other direction. You should have low resistance or continuity. Again, remove one diode lead to do this, since it's connected in parallel to the solenoid's coil.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
rynkshermy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You think its the resistor? What if I took it off and tried? Would that damage controller?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

prolonged use without a resistor can cause controller damage. will it fry from one or two hits just to test it probably not but i personally dont like taking the chance. Best bet is to call alltrax and see if it will run without a resistor or if needs to sense a precharge.
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The SPM controller will not operate without the precharge resistor. It's a new feature.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
rynkshermy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just looked, the resistor I have reads 10w 220_ohm..... The alltrax diagram shows to install a 10w 250_ohm resistor..... do I need a larger resistor or will the 220 work?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Did you measure what it actually reads? They do have tolerances.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
rynkshermy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes, it read 227 ohms
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is big enough to precharge the controller and we ran many AXE & DCX controls with the 220 ohm resistor........ but I don't know what the SPM threshold is set at? It may be higher?

My guess is that if you are using the 220 Ω resistor and getting the no precharge fault code that it is not big enough.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you or your friend have a 20 - 30 ohm resistor, you can hook it up in series with your 227 one just for testing. If that works, get a properly sized and wattage resistor and you should be good to go.

You may find the proper sized resistor at RS, but they don't carry nearly as many components as they used to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO