lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Moe Stacolli
Not Yet Wild

Default Custom 48 volt conversion on a txt your advice?

Hello, just recently my dad's batteries quit in what I believe is a 01 txt or around the year cart. I use it regularly in the summer for a large garden and we have lots of hills in all sizes. I am pretty sure the abuse has sped up the death of it because the batteries are two years old. The cart has over sized tires and lift and needs more torque.

I want to use 12 volt optima batteries if that is possible. I am qualified to do any necessary fabrication. A desired budget of 1500-3000. What are all the necessary parts to do this correctly? Anything you would do in hindsight after spending a bunch of money? The goal is extreme torque with all around power and most importantly extreme reliability. And

And just out of curiosity what is going to take to run five or six 12 volts given ample space and components?
Moe Stacolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Custom 48 volt conversion on a txt your advice?

You do not want to use optima batteries in a golf cart. They do not compare to true traction batteries that golf carts require.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You best bet is 6/8v 190 anp hour golf cart batteries like Crown or Trojan.
We need to know which drive system you have to suggest any other components to meet your goals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Moe Stacolli
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the response. It is not a switch and uses a handle, I will have to check it out a little more tomorrow. What is the major disadvantage with using an optima marine battery? The blue tops are geared for deep cycle use and I was also looking at lithium 12 volt batteries too. A little more money then we'd like to spend but it is still an option. I want to use 3 or 4 really nice 12 volts rather than 6 or 8 garbage batteries. Charge duration is not as big of a deal since it will only be driven on our property.

The lithium batteries are what I am leaning towards. I found 12 volts for a little over 300 a piece and I think we could get away with running the 36 volt system with an adjustable and stronger controller yes? I am new to electric drive train and as a pretty hard core automotive enthusiast, I cannot believe we are not more involved in the electric side of things..
Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Stacolli View Post
T I want to use 3 or 4 really nice 12 volts rather than 6 or 8 garbage batteries.
That statement is completely backwards. It's the 12v that are garbage (marine deep cycle, not 12v FLA batteries). Any golf cart battery will EASILY outperform a deep cycle battery in every category (years of service, run time, charge time, etc...)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Battery 101:

There are basically three types of FLA (Flooded Lead-Acid) batteries.
1. SLI (Start-Lights-ignition): Produces very high amps for a short period of time and is immediately recharged.
2. Deep-Cycle: Produces moderately high amps over a long period of time and may be discharged considerably before being recharged.
3. Marine: Someplace between the two, with the worst characteristics of both.

The voltage of a FLA battery is determined by how many 2V cells are packaged in the same box. Since 6V, 8V and 12V golf cart batteries are packaged in about the same sized boxes and AH capacity is primarily determined by the size of the 2V cells, at best, a 12V battery only will have about half the AH capacity of a 6V battery, due to the fact that twice as many 2V cells are packed in roughly the same sized box.

With little exception, a 48V battery pack made out of 6V batteries will outlast and outperform a 48V battery pack made out of 8V batteries and either of them will outlast and outperform a 48V battery pack made out of 12V batteries. And I'm speaking of proper deep-cycle batteries in the various voltages rather than Marine and SLI, both of which would be something akin to equine pre-processed oats in golf cart and similar traction motor applications.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just from the practical experience side of this, when I originally purchased my 48-V hunting cart it "came with" six 8-V Excide flooded batteries. When I upgraded last year (got about 5 years from the Excide's by performing proper maintenance, battery terminal cleaning, cable replacement when necessary, watering when required, etc.) I went too eight Trojan 6-V T-105's, and my run time increased by at least 20%. Now, not the 20% from the end of life Excide batteries, but from the initial run time 5 years ago. Yes, I do attempt to keep track of important stuff like when I replace important stuff, parts, bushings, beer coolers...no..wait, ignore that cooler comment.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Moe Stacolli
Not Yet Wild

Understandable, what about lithium car batteries? The description states they are great for electric equipment that require deep cycle charging but they are still geared to start a car. I did some more research last night on the Trojans and that is probably what will go with. I appreciate the input on batteries, sorry if they are dumb questions. I still have to see what type of controller will need but if we were to use the existing 36 volt system, stock motor and what not, what would be a good adjustable controller as far as amps and a little extra juice for up hills?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

ScottyB has some really competitive prices on his controller packages. I don't know if you can find anyone that will actually beat 'em. Plus, he's here on the forum to answer your questions and sent you stuff you need to know....along with stuff you want to know....and of course, stuff you would rather not know. (Like electrical math stuff....I mean hey...if I really wanted to know that stuff....I would have paid attention in math class!! Give me a break!!)

I have an Alltrax Controller and I've placed about 3 calls into Alltrax. Those guys will break stuff down to the 3rd grade level for you. Unfortunately, I only understand at the 2nd grade level....so what they tell me most just fly's out my other ear. (You know....my third ear)

However, IMHO nothing like a quality Alltrax to put get-up in your go. And Scotty takes the guess work out of which solenoid you will need to go with the controller you select. I like to know a little bit, rely on the experts, have a good time, and drink "big boy"drinks as we don't have a contract on tomorrow!!!

MHO

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO