lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart won't run. Not sure why.

You need a DVM that will read the individual battery voltages down to a1/100 of a volt and the pack voltage down to 1/10 Volt.
A fully charged 6VC battery reads 6.37V after resting about 12 hours after the charger shuts of automatically and a 36V pack reads 38.2V.

You may have more than one problem, but a bad connection or cable within the battery pack can cause the symptoms you've stated.

----
While the charger is connected and putting out a few amps on its ammeter, measure the voltage across the five heavy cables connecting the batteries in series. Go from the lead battery post on one battery to the lead post on the next battery, that will include the cable to terminal connection in the test.

If you get any voltage across any of the interconnecting cables/connections, that is a problem that needs to be fixed before further troubleshooting is done.

The cables do have a slight amount of resistance, but it is only 0.0004 Ohms per foot for 6Ga cable and less for thicker Ga cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

OK, I checked the cables and there is no voltage between any of the batteries. With the charger plugged in the ammeter is reading 7 amps. I get 43 volts on the pack during charging. Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the charger and turned the cart on. This time the solenoid clicked as it is supposed to do when depressing the pedal. The cart moved forward slowly about 7 feet then a hard shuddering came from the back end around the motor and the cart stopped.
Hawk Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Watch View Post
OK, I checked the cables and there is no voltage between any of the batteries. With the charger plugged in the ammeter is reading 7 amps. I get 43 volts on the pack during charging. Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the charger and turned the cart on. This time the solenoid clicked as it is supposed to do when depressing the pedal. The cart moved forward slowly about 7 feet then a hard shuddering came from the back end around the motor and the cart stopped.
Does the second sentence go with the first or third sentence, or both?

In other words, was the charger pumping 7A, or so,through the battery pack when you measured the voltage across the interconnecting cables.
If so, the cables are okay, or at least as far as charging is concerned. (They may be bad under a heavier load.)
If not, it wasn't a valid test.

Having an On-Charge voltage of 43V with 7A of charging current flowing sounds about right. Here is the charge curve a TC-III charger is based on.

The way the cart acts indicates severely discharged batteries, a bad battery pack (It only takes one bad cell), or excessive resistance in the high current loop.

What is the pack voltage when the cart is trying to move?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. The three sentence go together. With the charger plugged in I got 43 volts on the pack, 7 amps on the ammeter, and 0 volts between batteries. I will jack the cart up today and test the voltage when it tries to move. Really appreciate your help.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

OK, I jacked up the cart and ran the motor. The voltage drops from 36V to 22.5V immediately and slowly goes down as the motor runs. I can hear the motor slowing down as the voltage drops. After about 30 seconds the voltage was down to 21.5V and continuing to drop. Bad battery?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sure sounds like! Try measuring the voltage on each individual battery when running the cart. This will show you which battery, (s) is/are bad.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #17
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Will do. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Ok, here are the voltage readings when the pedal is depressed and the motor is running: Bat#1-3.18V, Bat#2-6.03V, Bat#3-5.98V, Bat#4-6.07V, Bat#5-5.99V, Bat#6-5.97V. When the pedal is depressed all batteries remain close to their original voltage with only a small (0.02-0.03V) drop...except Bat#1. It drops to below zero and then shoots all over the place until it arrives somewhere around 8.6-9.4V. It is also the only battery in the pack that instantly boils when the charger is plugged in. I think I can guess which battery might be bad. Do you concur?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Battery #1 is a gonner.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for your help. We'll replace the battery and get the thing charged up! Many thanks!!!

Tags
batteries low, solenoid wont click
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO