lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 07 club car ds front hub bearing ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvextreme View Post
UPDATE:

After some researching and calling the vendor we finally determined that the 2007 club car ds that I thought I owned is actually a 2003 model. So hence the reason why the hubs wouldn't work. Serial number AA0307 and I was told when I bought it that it was an 07 Should have done my homework. No big deal now just have to upgrade the hubs to post 2003. Looking at just replacing bearings and not the entire hub although it may be just as easy to replace the assembly. I'm sorry for the mistake although I know now how to verify Serial number thanks to this forum.

Way late to the party on this one...
I'm trying to replace a sheared spindle on a completely rebuilt 1999 club car.
I'd love a thicker spindle in hopes that it won't break again...
Did the post 2003 spindle geometry fit correctly on your 2003 cart?
I'm willing to purchase new, larger bearings / hubs to match up with a larger spindle diameter... But I assumed the newer spindle wouldn't align the wheels correctly...

Should I stick with a pre 2003 spindle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I dunno how you managed to shear a spindle off, but the 04+ spindles and hubs are NOT tougher than your old style spindles.
If you broke one, somebody was beating on that thing way too hard, or it was replaced previously with an aftermarket cheapo.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I dunno how you managed to shear a spindle off, but the 04+ spindles and hubs are NOT tougher than your old style spindles.
If you broke one, somebody was beating on that thing way too hard, or it was replaced previously with an aftermarket cheapo.

I have to agree with Fairtax4me on this. I've seen lots of crashed & mangled DS suspension & steering parts, but never had a spindle break. Bend, yes - but not break.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well...
Here's what I think occurred.

After I got the cart, I took it to a local "custom" golf cart place for an oil change and tune up.
They adjusted the suspension to better align the tires but said they were afraid to go too much... They later admitted that they really don't actually know how to work on custom carts... Although they still charged me full price...

Well, about a week later the right tie rod came completely out while driving, which I believe put a lot of strain on the drive side spindle.

I was able to screw it back in (and I said, to heck with the perfect alignment... I'm screwing this thing all the way in.

I thought all was well... Although I sort of thought the driver side tire was catered more than I remembered... But I'm new to this and didn't think too much of it. My suspicion is that the spindle wss indeed bent... Then I drove it again and about a half mile later the wheel came off when the spindle sheered.

So yeah... A lot of regrettable moments...
Now to fix it.

The frame is a 1999 club car. Ideally I'd buy new spindles and either new hubs or possible just new bearing internals for the hubs.

I've got the hub off of the broken wheel and removed the broken spindle from within. The spindle measures 19mm...
My concern is that I'm afraid someone modified the arm on the spindle so it would fit my carts suspension... As I think the available replacement spindles for carts of this age look longer than the arm that is on mine.

So questions:
What is the diameter supposed to be on the pre 2003 club car spindle (does someone know, or can someone measure one for me?)
What is the length of the "arm" on the spindle... Like from the sleeved portion to the end of the arm that ties to the steering.

I'm considering this spindle... But don't know the length or the diameter
3G Spindle- Driver Side for Club Car DS Golf Carts 1981-2003 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PBM193..._ckmTDbE023VXW

And these parts to rebuild the hubs.
(2 Kits) Club Car DS Carryall Wheel Hub Bearing & Seal Kit 1013135 1011888, 1011393, 7910, HD Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NWPW122..._.kmTDbAH97VG4

And I'd plan to do both sides... As now I'm afraid the dropping of the driver side put stress on the passenger side spindle.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure what exactly was done to this cart... But it looks like it's "backwards" vs traditional setup...
In that the arm to the steering on my cart goes towards the front... Whereas the spindles I linked above go towards the back.

I'm wondering if:
1) Is there a better spindle I can get that will work with the lift I had?
2) I can use these spindles but swap the driver and passenger sides so the arm goes "forward" (seems unlikely the distance will be correct to enable the wheels to stay true/straight)
3) buy these spindles so they are the correct diameter for the hub... Then take them to a fabricator to weld on the correct arm to match my setup... Sounds painful and $$

Old 04-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #16
M Threezy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think I am in the same boat! I didn’t find this post until after I posted my issue earlier. I have an 04 DS, purchased a week ago. The steering is sloppy so i went to investigate. Found hubs/bearings moving a bunch. I ordered new bearings for the 03+ DS and they are the same as the current bearing. If I’m reading this right, I could order the pre 03 hubs or bearing and they should work???

I know it needs an alignment, but the bearings come first.
You guys rock, btw.
M Threezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

The sway bar looks like a blind man welded it...[emoji6]. But anyway... I have a couple sets of older club car spindles laying around that I stole the steering bars from, that you could have. (Just pay shipping) I can send pics if you’re interested.

When I buy bearings. I usually just use ID, OD and thickness measurements and order them from MSC or McMaster Carr. They stock basically every size in the planet.

S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #18
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
The sway bar looks like a blind man welded it...[emoji6]. But anyway... I have a couple sets of older club car spindles laying around that I stole the steering bars from, that you could have. (Just pay shipping) I can send pics if you’re interested.

When I buy bearings. I usually just use ID, OD and thickness measurements and order them from MSC or McMaster Carr. They stock basically every size in the planet.

I had trouble finding any shop that was willing to make a new spindle. Got lucky with a neighbor walking by who saw it and said his shop would “do it in their free time”...
So he took it and I just got it back. He also made a new sway bar.

I’m now on the step of putting the hub back on... but the bearings all came apart when I took it off.
So I’m planning to just buy the “kit” with two bearings and a seal. I know I’ll need to pack the bearings with grease... I assume I don’t need to pack the inside of the hub with grease... that I just leave that area empty?

Also looks like 1 bearing fits on the inside of the hub and the other bearing and seal goes on the outside.
Seems easy enough... any tips of you tube videos for a first timer?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

I’m guessing you know the difference between a sealed bearing and an open bearing..?..
if the bearings are “straight” then they’re most likely sealed and do not need grease.
If you have tapered roller bearings, they are most likely open... those you have to pack the grease into... (do not just smear some on the outside and think that you’re good) they make tools to pack those bearings, but I always do the old school way and put a big wad of grease in the palm of my left hand, form that hand into a cup, then hold the bearing in the right hand and smack the bottom of the bearing into the grease forcing it up through the rollers and housing. After you get a section done, spin the bearing and continue all the way around. (It only takes a couple min.

The shop did nice work. Reach out with pic and questions if you have any troubles.

S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. They are tapered/unsealed.
I did find a video on these forums about how to pack the grease by hand. Bearings Should arrive by Friday.

Thanks for your help!

Related, the shop really did a great job. My neighbor said I could just pay him in wine... can you give me a ballpark of what work like that should have cost so I can buy him a sufficient compensation?

They made a new spindle/shaft and welded that to the existing base & made an all new anti sway bar.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car