lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #11
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery cable Nuts?

I know, but i am off to polish my nuts before i go to the gallows.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2017, 03:27 AM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No worry. Henry has been gone a long time.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:33 AM   #13
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Have a good day my friend.

I have been at work for 2 1/2 hours now so i better go do something useful LOL
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Ok. One for the experts here.

On our fleet of Club Car carts, i regularly see the nuts that clamp the cables to the batteries corroded and almost an inverted cone shape. I only get to the shed when they have a problem with the carts and usually the daily maintenance is done by a few Course marshals. I am assuming that this is electro corrosion and wonder if it is due to any one thing in particular. I note that the terminals are usually protected with terminal grease, so i dont think this is the issue. I wonder if it may be due to the course being quite hilly and making the carts draw more current than usual. The cables are all OEM as fitted from new. I also note that the cable/terminal quality looks so poor as to be made in some guys back room!. My thoughts are to manufacture my own cables to replace these and consider using a heavier cable and lugs to cope with the possible extra amperage being drawn while in use on the course.

Does this seem a sensible thing to think or am i missing something more obvious? I am an old Gas cart regular but the electric carts are still a little out of my comfort zone knowledge wise. I have my head round most of it, but not sure about this issue and what is most likely to be causing it.

This is why i am looking at the culprit maybe being the poorly made cables.

Look forward to opinions here.
It appears that you are having a significant corrosion event, considering that these carts are only 1 to 2 years old (or so). I too don't believe that this issue is a result of higher current loading (with possible heating) but is likely either a galvanic corrosion issue (dissimilar metals), poor quality metal fasteners or a environmental issue.

A few suggestions:

1) If you have not done so yet, talk to Club Cart and see if they can provide you technical support for this issue. If this is a materials problem, they likely have experienced this problem on other carts and hopefully can offer you or guide you to a proper solution.

2) If you are not able to determine an effective solution from Club Car, you should try installing corrosion resistant fasteners. I like using both correctly sized washers and nuts as fasteners, which provide an effective clamping force onto your cables and terminals. Galvanized coated fasteners might be a good material to try. I was originally thinking that cadmium coated is the way to go, but there seems to be a lot of concern on the safety and environmental effects of cadmium. See: https://www.finishing.com/4000-4199/4144.shtml and http://www.deltaspecialtycoatings.com/capabilities.php for some interesting (to some people) reading.

3) You mention that "I note that the terminals are usually protected with terminal grease, so i don't think this is the issue." Is the terminal grease that you are using is also sufficiently covering the nut to protect the entire connection from corrosion? I note that a lot of people on this forum use a spray on type corrosion protector such as CRC Battery Terminal Protector or NOCO NCP2 and I believe that they have acceptable results.

4) I have also read on this forum (and follow this practice) of fully venting the battery compartment by lifting the seats when charging to allow the acid gases to disperse which can aid in preventing corrosion.

5) High quality cable connectors I believe will pay dividends if you need to replace them too. I have used Ancor Marine Grade Electrical Heavy Duty Tinned Copper Lugs and believe that they are worth the extra cost.

6) Can you possibly post a picture of an affected terminal, lug and nut? This might help to spur on a few more responses.

I hope that you can resolve your corrosion issues. And please keep us informed of your results.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Threecw
Thanks for your informative response.

As the carts are now in storage for the winter season, i will have to gain access to take a picture.

To start with, all cables and clamping nuts are as supplied by our UK distributor and i queried the fact that there are no washers and the cable lugs looked cheap and nasty to which i was told, "thats how they are supplied by Club Car" and any further discussions i was basically fobbed off. The cables look so poorly made that the few i have made myself have shown no corrosion whatsoever using locally supplied cable and lugs. so your comment on using high quality certainly has its merits. I will try to get a photo when i can and post it here, but it may be a while to find who has the keys to the lock up. During winter there is a smaller staff on site for the pro shops and no one seems to have keys for the compound.
Your comment about washers brings me to another theory i had as these carts were supplied with no washers under the nuts and therefore maybe not enough contact area for good electrical contact. I wondered about heat being an issue due to discolouration of the lugs which also seem too small in surface area and very thin material. The cable lugs are not the closed end type i have used in the past on EZGO carts and crimp on to the cable with two overlapping tabs. I wonder if the carts are shipped to the UK without batteries and cables and the UK distributor is having them made cheaply? I also note that the cables going to the rest of the cart are well made, the ones i am concerned about are those that connect the battery pack together. I need to speak to someone sensible at the Uk distributors as all i have spoken to so far are just fobbing me off saying it is down to poor maintenance. Regarding your comment about the terminal grease, the answer is yes, full coverage on all that i have inspected although i have considered using the spray type as you suggest.

As an afterthought, i wonder now if the issue is more down to battery cleaning. a few months ago I had to advise the Marshalls that they need to clean down the batteries with bicarb to neutralise any spilled electrolyte on the battery tops as some of the autofills had leaked.

So, looking at the price of battery cables here in the UK from the distributor, compared to the quality, i think we are being ripped off big time and hopefully if i can prove that the poor cables are the issue along with being fitted without washers i will go back to the distributor for an argument LOL.
I dont trust the distributors at all due to them not telling the truth about complaints from other customers regarding quality control. I have had several issues of poorly manufactured parts being supplied recently and again have been fobbed off with comments like " never heard of that" or "no one else has complained about that" even when one of their engineers came to site for some insurance repairs and totally agreed with my complaints and often see's it when visiting other courses! To be honest i am at the point of recommending we go to another brand of cart when we replace the fleet next year.

Edit.

Just an afterthought, you mention lifting the seat to vent the gasses given off. Surely my understanding is that is is only hydrogen and oxygen being gassed off? so should not affect corrosion, just creating an explosive atmosphere with the hydrogen . correct me here as This is what i was told when doing my EZGO training.i am probably incorrect
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=Cartmaster;1458850]Threecw

.................................................. .......................................

Threecw
I also note that the cables going to the rest of the cart are well made,
the few i have made myself have shown no corrosion whatsoever using locally supplied cable and lugs.
/// I think that proves the problem , The factory ezgo cables are good and due to the carts being shipped with no batteries . they had someone make up the Batt' to Batt' cables that doesn't know whats really required . I'm guessing the cable ends have a 3/8 hole and the post studs are 5/16 then they could be not getting enough contact and thats why there getting discolored. and the cables look so poorly made .

.................................................. .....................................
/// They probably are not going to replace all the carts with new cables (overall cost thing) ,but if the cables are thick enough (6g to 4g) you could talk them into just new cable ends , and washers if needed. but never approach them with a complaint or problem , they dont care .just tell them how much MONEY that this will save them in maintenance time . thats all they want to here ! .( you'll be labeled a whiner instead of a asset )
.................................................. ......................................
Threecw
i wonder now if the issue is more down to battery cleaning.
I had to advise the Marshalls that they need to clean down the batteries with bicarb to neutralize any spilled electrolyte on the battery tops as some of the auto-fills had leaked.
you mention lifting the seat to vent the gasses given off. Surely my understanding is that is is only hydrogen and oxygen being gassed off?
..........so should not affect corrosion,
. .
/// Guessing here myself ? spilled electrolyte on the battery tops as some of the autofills had leaked.
.................................................. ......................................
I dont trust the distributors at all due to them not telling the truth about complaints from other customers regarding quality control. To be honest i am at the point of recommending we go to another brand of cart when we replace the fleet next year.
/// I wouldn't do that , all any company or corporation cares about is the BOTTOM LINE ...AGAIN' unless you can prove on paper how much money that will save them . and know how to make the little colored block charts that go up and down Because they never apply common sense and logic (ok, I'm venting here )

Threecw
LOL. I am not trying to be smart, it's just that the last time i asked a stupid question, the responses nearly made me leave the forum!
/// No Worries , its hard to know what somebody really means sometime buy what they post . you cant see if there laughing or P.O.ed . .. using the or is always a good idea so that it dosent get takin the wrong way
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

There is a keyword in there: autofill.
Your batteries are being overfilled.
Then during charge, they are boiling over.
What you are describing is being caused by "wet acid".
Put new stainless nuts on terminals and throw away the autofill system on the cart giving you the most trouble and monitor water levels weekly.
The problem will go away.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

These are what I have been using without any issues.

s-l1000.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #19
HarryT
Gone Wild

First, a bit of history. I also maintain a fleet of 2015 Precedents. At one of our last Pro Ams we had a Pro from the UK. He said he thought his course was one of the hillyest courses in the world until he played ours. He said it was like his course on steroids. Anyhow to your problem. These carts are starting there 3rd year and our 2012s were traded after 4 years of service. We are a year round course in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains in South Carolina with a fairly mild winter and some snow. I do all the maintenance, repairs, lubing and watering myself. I have never had a corrosion or cable problem with the factory batteries and cables so I can't help you with your problem other than to say it is not normal. My carts have one point watering, Power Drive batteries and Eric chargers and I water them and wash them off once a month faithfully. Club Car uses stainless steel nuts with no lock washers. Most battery manufactures specify not to use washers or lock washers. I have never put terminal protector on our carts. We have 63 course carts and on some busy days, some have to go out twice a day.
I know I have not helped you with your problem but I just wanted to let you know that it is not normal.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 AM   #20
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Havent seen a actual fleet manager on the forum myself yet ,dont think cartmaster does the watering / and the hydro-systems really gets a bad rap here. i myself have taken mine off due to overfilling and under filling with a one year old system (US Batteries) . if you maintain 63 carts that all have that system ,, what percent of them start Overfilling (excessive fluid on tops) after the first year lets say ..and what brand is important . just curious
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car