lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
ta17
Not Yet Wild

Default Major Help Needed!!!!

Just purchased a 04 PDS.(36v) In the process of installing everything I bought for it as well. Took body off....installed lift kit....put in speed chip....went to see how the lift kit rode and I have no juice at all. (Batteries reading 37.3.) Before I started to work on it, it kept losing power and stopping, but when i turned the key from on to off and on again, it would go again for about 30 yards and do the same thing. So I put in a new controller and still nothing. I know VERY LITTLE about all of this. So I have this cart with everything new waiting to be installed and Im stuck big time. Can anyone give me some advice? Reccomendations? Should I just find someone to fix it? (Ive looked and not to many around) PLEASE HELP!!!!! Thanks!
ta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Major Help Needed!!!!

Yeah - You're not supposed to lift a PDS cart. Can't remedy that now, but for starters take OUT the speed chip and upgrade to 4 gauge cables. Your controller is over heating and there's nothing you can do about it other than to replace it with an aftermarket controller that doesn't have the thermal overload feature.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Confused here - Did you already lift the cart and now have problems? What size tires / wheels did you add? OR, the controller was shutting down before you lifted it? You changed the controller and still get the same issue?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
ta17
Not Yet Wild

replies not showing up!!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
ta17
Not Yet Wild

ok. Had the problems before cart was lifted. Changed controller and still no juice. Why take out speed chip?? I have 23' tires with 6' lift. Why shouldnt you lift a pds?? thanks mike
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

did you hook up the charger recepticle back up. this has to be hooked up before the cart will move. it has a reed switch in it that tells the controller if the charger is plugged up or not.

pds carts are real funny about voltage and having a lift will reduce the voltage faster which inturn can burn up the controller. Running that cart on weak batteries is a good way to cook the controller. I have seen it hundreds of times.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My comment on lifting a PDS is soley because of the stock controller issue. They will eventually burn up. They are great if you add a 400 amp alltrax, though.

Speed chip - lifted PDS - It's just something I don't recommend, others may feel differently

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I recommend that you use the torque chip instead of speed. you will gain speed since you are going bigger on tires. you will gain 2-3+ mph just by changing tires.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta17 View Post
ok. Had the problems before cart was lifted. Changed controller and still no juice. Why take out speed chip?? I have 23' tires with 6' lift. Why shouldnt you lift a pds?? thanks mike
If you changed the controller to an aftermarket, then there is no place for the speed "chip". These "chips" are just for the stock controller. As Mike says, Shunt wound motors and stock PDS controllers are not the best for extreme modifications, although it can be done.

Verify you have voltage at the controller and the reed switch is properly hooked up. There is a controller troubleshooting thread in the sticky section. Follow those steps. If it turns out you contoller is fried, or if you can return the new one you just purchased, make sure you install a higher amp controller than the stock 275. A lift on a PDS almost requires the high amps in my opinion.
golferjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
I recommend that you use the torque chip instead of speed. you will gain speed since you are going bigger on tires. you will gain 2-3+ mph just by changing tires.
The different chips only modify the regen feature.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO