lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
scfd493
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v cart with 48v motor/controller

Alright I had this cart for 2 years was set up by someone else. Just had to the replace the batteries and started reading more. here is what I have:

94 club car , 6 inch lift 22x10-11 mud tires, came 36v with 36v charger. Knew it had a changed motor and controller but never really looked at it ( it runs nice good torque 13-14 mph).

After replacing batteries which were 2005 trojans I figured I would start looking at things to tinker with in the future. Looked at Motor it is a 4 hp 4150 rpm 48v 72 amp ge motor with a 48V 480 amp control box.

It has been running well but what does this mean. Would it run better at
48v? Obviously it has been happy so far

Thanks in advance for your imput I did a search but couldn't come up with this circumstance could find people putting 48v to 36v motors
scfd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: 36v cart with 48v motor/controller

well since you have already invested in new batteries , it may be a mute point , these are not cheep probably the most expensive thing on the cart.
Sounds like the only thing U may have had to do is upgrade, batteries to 8 Volt, charger to 48 Volt, cables to #4, , F&R sw to heavy and solinoids to heavy .

Oh well (next time)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Or you can add two more 6v batteries to make it 48v, but lets see what some others have to say.

and if your thinking about going 48v where going to need more info
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
scfd493
Not Yet Wild

I may have a resource to unload the batteries if I want to change it, wires are already #4 dont know about the selinoid doubt the switch. Like I said it has run very well. But the magic question is will it run better, By underpowering it am I hurting it or just not getting the optimum preformance.
Does any one have the same type set up (with right batteries ofcourse) what should I expect as far as preformace for the change.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

I will definitely run better, more torque and faster take off when getting up to speed.
As for speed that depends if the 6 volt set up is getting the motor up to 4150.
Some on here upgrade then wait to see what starts failing ( solenoid, F/R ...etc) and replace as they go .

You could drop a 12 Volt battery in there for testing and see what happens.
And U may be able to find a dealer to swat the 36 charger for a 48 volt.

The other thing which I am not sure of is since this is not a PowerDrive cart , when U get a charger it cannot be one which is controlled by the OBC (PowerDrive).

RIB may know ???
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
I will definitely run better, more torque and faster take off when getting up to speed.
As for speed that depends if the 6 volt set up is getting the motor up to 4150.
Some on here upgrade then wait to see what starts failing ( solenoid, F/R ...etc) and replace as they go .

You could drop a 12 Volt battery in there for testing and see what happens.
And U may be able to find a dealer to swat the 36 charger for a 48 volt.

The other thing which I am not sure of is since this is not a PowerDrive cart , when U get a charger it cannot be one which is controlled by the OBC (PowerDrive).

RIB may know ???

This is a new one to me,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfd493 View Post
Alright I had this cart for 2 years was set up by someone else. Just had to the replace the batteries and started reading more. here is what I have:

94 club car , 6 inch lift 22x10-11 mud tires, came 36v with 36v charger. Knew it had a changed motor and controller but never really looked at it ( it runs nice good torque 13-14 mph).

After replacing batteries which were 2005 trojans I figured I would start looking at things to tinker with in the future. Looked at Motor it is a 4 hp 4150 rpm 48v 72 amp ge motor with a 48V 480 amp control box.

It has been running well but what does this mean. Would it run better at
48v? Obviously it has been happy so far

Thanks in advance for your imput I did a search but couldn't come up with this circumstance could find people putting 48v to 36v motors
Sounds like your motor is a GE "Bad Boy". It is rated at 4hp @ 4150 rpms on 36 volts. It is also rated at 5.5hp @ 5700 rpms on 48 volts. It is designed to run either 36 or 48 volts. Since you say your cart runs good, I would suspect that your controller is the same. Either 36 or 48 volts. So you are not hurting anything.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
scfd493
Not Yet Wild

Found the motor spec:
Electric Motor Store's selection of General Electric (GE) 10 Tooth Female Spline, Graziano and Kawasaki Axles (Club Car)

Part ID: D379
Product Weight: 51 lbs.

HP: 4
RPM: 4150
Bearings: Ball
Enclosure: Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated
Field Volts: 48
Motortype: Series Wound
Thermal Protection: None
Base: Flange mount
Armature Volts: 48
Torque (oz-ft): 81.0
Amps: 72.0
Model Number: 5BC49JB1115
Duty: Continuous
C Dimension (inches): 9.4
NEMA Frame: N/S
Item: DC Mtr 4 HP 4150 RPM 10 Tooth Series Wound Mtr
Catalog Number: D379

Controller Logisystems 48v ,480 amp , imput 5k-0

thanks for the imput had some time to play with it today and was looking to give the most info I could
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Keep us posted on the results/decision
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
scfd493
Not Yet Wild

Still trying gathering info looks like it was all put in as a kit in 2005. Also was converted from resister to solid state then. Trying to figure out if there is a enough preformance gains vs cost to move it to 48v. Looks like batteries a new charger and solinoid is basicly what would be needed maybe a upgrade on f&R switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car