lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
gregd2
Not Yet Wild

Default textron total charger isn't charging

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and have a question about an old cart charger. It's an older Textron charger that is not putting out any voltage anymore. It was tested at a shop to confirm but I didn't want to pay a $100 diagnostic fee. I connected it to a fully charged 36volt cart and it will only hum. I've opened it up to verify no broken wires or obvious shorts and have ohmed out the obvious stuff. This unit doesn't appear to have a diode or relay on the board. I've got a dvm but not sure how to diagnose whether or not I have a bad board or transformer. It would be nice if I had a spare charger to swap parts with but this is used at my deer lease and there are no other chargers around. Thanks for any advise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart charger.jpg (56.1 KB, 8 views)
gregd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: textron total charger isn't charging

Sounds like the diodes are open or the 50A breaker is kicked out. There are two diodes on a heatsink in this charger. There should be a manual you can download for it at: http://bennettgolfcars.ca/ezgo_manuals.php
Parts are quite reasonable and since it hums, I would say the transformer is good.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd2 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and have a question about an old cart charger. It's an older Textron charger that is not putting out any voltage anymore. It was tested at a shop to confirm but I didn't want to pay a $100 diagnostic fee. I connected it to a fully charged 36volt cart and it will only hum. I've opened it up to verify no broken wires or obvious shorts and have ohmed out the obvious stuff. This unit doesn't appear to have a diode or relay on the board. I've got a dvm but not sure how to diagnose whether or not I have a bad board or transformer. It would be nice if I had a spare charger to swap parts with but this is used at my deer lease and there are no other chargers around. Thanks for any advise
I don't know a thing about that charger but if it has an automatic cutoff at a certain voltage maybe connecting it to a fully charged pack may not allow it to kick on. Maybe run the cart voltage down some and try it again?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW.

Find the white wire in the output cable that connects to cart.
Trace white wire back to circuit breaker.
The wire on other side of breaker should be attached to an aluminum plate that is mounted on insulating standoffs.
On the aluminum plate there will be two stud mount or press fit diodes.
The wires attached to those two diodes lead back to the transformer.

The diodes along with what is effectively a center tapped secondary on the transformer, form the full wave rectifier that charges the cart's battery.

Place one Ohmmeter lead on the aluminum plate and the other on either wire leading to transformer. Then reverse leads and measure again.
Should be high Ohms in one polarity and low Ohms in other.
If not, replace both diodes.
1N1184 (35A - 100V) or 1N1188 (35A - 400V) or similar, will work.

The nice thing about those old (and not so old) chargers with the big transformer with big capacitor attached to it, is that every thing is replaceable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
gregd2
Not Yet Wild

Diodes aren't open and have a higher value when changing polarity using the diode selector on my meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8826.jpg (40.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9389.jpg (43.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Those Diodes are bad.
You've got 1.8 Megohms in one direction and 2.0 Megohms in the other
Should be something like 10 Ohms (or less) in one direction and 10,000 Ohms (or more) in the other.

Replace them both and that old girl will last another fifty years.

If possible, do me a favor and take more picture from all angles of that charger. I don't have any of that style in my collection.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you need pics of a Total Charge III?
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
gregd2
Not Yet Wild

Just noticed the relay on the board. Not sure how I missed it but it still doesn't appear to have ever had two wires on it due to the looks of the empty terminal. I didn't see any loose wires laying around either.

Here are some more pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6986.jpg (39.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7138.jpg (38.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4958.jpg (35.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.jpg (40.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd2 View Post
Just noticed the relay on the board. Not sure how I missed it but it still doesn't appear to have ever had two wires on it due to the looks of the empty terminal. I didn't see any loose wires laying around either.

Here are some more pics:
Thanks!

Looks like the relay is bypassed. Somebody has turn it into a manual charger, or maybe one that shuts of with a timer.

The way that thing is supposed to work is plug it into AC power and into cart, then set timer to "Start"
Charger (and timer) will automatically shut off when battery pack reaches 44V to 46V range. (That is the normal shut off point for a 36V battery pack)
The timer tells you how long it took to charge the battery pack.
The timer also serves as a safety back-up and shuts down the charger if the batteries don't reach the 44-46V range in 12 hours.

I think I mighty have a wiring diagram for that slightly strange timer/control board arrangement somewhere in my stash, but I'll have to do some searching.

BTW - Those look like Press-fit Diodes. You can just bore a couple of holes in the heatsink and replace them with stud mounted diodes (1N1188 or similar) as shown here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diode view.jpg (284.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Do you need pics of a Total Charge III?
If you've got some handy and don't mind me using them when trying to explain where to put test leads.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO