lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Helping neightbor put new batteries in a 2007 Precedent.

I know batteries and EZGO carts fairly well, but I know next to nothing about Club Car and their OBC charging system.

My friend/neighbor has a 2007(?) Precedent with a Run/Tow switch, so I suspect it is a sepex drive system and it has four 12V batteries. The batteries are "Club Car made by Trojan" but unlabeled otherwise. Date code is F7, so they are going on seven years old and are pretty sick. The charger is a Powerdrive-2 Model 22110.

I found out how to reset the OBC from the Stickies, so my plan is to reset it and then put the new batteries on charge before the cart is driven.
My question is: Does it need to be reset again after the batteries are broken in?

Basically, when and how often does the OBC need to be reset?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Helping neightbor put new batteries in a 2007 Precedent.

I have always heard that it should only need resetting when new batteries are installed...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Assuming there is a single cable connected to the pack negative and that cable goes thru the OBC Hal sensor to the Controller, then the OBC keeps track of how much energy is removed from the pack during normal use.

The OBC uses that information when charging the batteries to make sure enough energy is put back on the batteries.

The data is stored in the OBC volatile memory.

When power is removed from the OBC for more than 5 minutes, the data in the volatile memory is lost, so next time You do a charge the OBC will default to a dv/dt algorithm.

The OBC will then have the new baseline and the energy displaced/replaced algorithm will be used after that.

There should be no reason to reset it again. You will also not hear the buzzer go off as mentioned in the stickies, that is just for old models where the buzzer is fed directly from the battery.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
crash test dummy

all i would add is with the batteries out i'd still press the gas pedal for 5 min to dissipate any stored energy

oh and read the battery break in procedures

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...tery-guide.pdf
Old 05-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info guys. Nice to know it reverts to dV/dT when reset.

Didn't want to give any bad advice to a neighbor that can hit golf balls at 660 Yards with a .224 Bench Rest rifle.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Didn't want to give any bad advice to a neighbor that can hit golf balls at 660 Yards with a .224 Bench Rest rifle.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

One more thing I like to do once a quarter: after a full charge and without moving the cart, unplug the DC cord from the cart, wait 20 seconds and plug it again.

The OBC will detect the cart has not moved since last charge and it will initiate an equalize charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
One more thing I like to do once a quarter: after a full charge and without moving the cart, unplug the DC cord from the cart, wait 20 seconds and plug it again.

The OBC will detect the cart has not moved since last charge and it will initiate an equalize charge.
More great info. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

First I am reading about any necessary resets when replacing batteries. However, sounds like nothing really needs to be done as long as the batteries are disconnected for a while, do I have that right? When I replaced my batteries last year, I put the tow run switch to tow, removed the cables and batteries and put the batteries in my truck for trade in. It was several hours before I put the new batteries in and once I got everything connected, the first thing I did was plug it in and wait for the charger to stop. After that I just rode the cart per breakin procedures and since then it has been performing great. Did I miss doing something I should have?
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
crash test dummy

yea ..you never put it back in run ...

no thats about it with new batteries ...i have reset an OBC when lights were left on and drained batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car