lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
AJYaros
Not Yet Wild

Default Help a newbie!

Howdy everyone, found your forum after some searching today. Wife and I picked up a 2003 Club Car DS IQ this past weekend and I'm working on getting versed in the cart game. I build Jeeps as it is, so I'm not new to modding vehicles. I had a few general questions to ask about usability/performance and figured this was the best place to start. Here goes:

1. Tires... What do you recommend for a good pavement tire? Our community has paved paths everywhere, and this cart won't be lifted or anything so I just want a good tire for the road. Currently has some aftermarket tires on it, but I want to know what I'm shopping for when these are toast.

2. Speed Controller... What's the deal? We clocked ours at a constant 16-18 mph the other night on a flat section with the 2 of us and our dog in the cart. I've read a little about controller upgrades; are they legit or just snake oil? I've seen that to get REAL results you need a new motor, controller, etc. I'm not looking to get 30 mph, but low 20's would be nice if possible.

3. Headlights... Like I said, it's an urban vehicle, so I want to know my limits. I've thought about replacing the headlights with Rigid SR-m or maybe a 6" bar, but I'm worried about too much light and blinding people. What have you had good results with as upgraded headlights? The current ones are already aftermarket, but they suck.

4. Rear Seat... Where's the best place to get a fold down rear seat? I've seen em online for a few hundred, but wondered if there was one place over another to buy from.

Thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to gaining knowledge from good people!
AJYaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Default Re: Help a newbie!

tires: if your not lifting the cart and mostly travel on pavement, stock turf tires work well. knobby tires will have a lot more noise and rolling resistance. knobby tires will slow you down and draw on the batteries more. i run mostly flat off road and have stock tires, works for me.

speed: your cart already has a speed code 4, magnet or speed switch in it. google ''speed code 5 club car'' to get 2 or 3 more mph out of a stock cart. my stock 03 iq cart goes 12 mph. the next step up is a motor and controller.

headlights: imo... in an urban setting are more for being seen than seeing. you can always add a light bar and separate switch for off roading
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
AJYaros
Not Yet Wild

there are 90 miles of paths where we live, none of which have lights on them. trust me, the lights are for me to see, lol. i was looking at low-profile DOT tires, but don't really see enough reason to upgrade to those. judging by the looks of the tires on the cart now, they look like some of the DOT and touring tires i've seen. And about the speed, that's pretty much where i figured i was. it's fine for what we use it for. i ordered a cheap pair of led lights from amazon today to replace the headlights with so we'll see how those do. thanks for the reply and info!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Just an opinion on the lights...I have never seen LED lights that are as good as your standard light bulb for seeing. LEDs are more for being seen. Walmart has a set of light for $20 that work great for where I live. You can adjust them up and down or sideways and they are bright. You could get a couple sets and make a light bar and I think you would be able to see about anything that's out there...

Good Luck
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
AJYaros
Not Yet Wild

thanks. found a LED headlight/tail light setup for club cars that i think i'm going to get and install (have to cut the cowling to recess the headlights into it). PO put some dinky little like, honda foglight pods on there and the light is horrible. i'm just spoiled by the LED bars and such we all have on our jeeps with nice, clean white light. i'll post pics of the install when complete
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have some questions:

1. What tires are on there now? Standard 8" rims and tires? Check tire pressure. Put 18-20 psi in and see if you aren't at 19mph.

2. 16-18 mph is a little slow. 19.6 is the PTC standard which is speed code 4 aka pvt code. Did you get this from a dealer or individual? Could be weak batteries. Do you have 4 12v batteries or 6 8v batteries? Best bang for the buck is to have your motor rebuilt by Plum Quick. Will put you in the low 20's if your batteries can support it.

3. Lights. I know your concerns. I agree LED lights are a crap shoot. The factory CC lights are pretty good. I guess you don't have these. Cree has pretty good LEDs. Next is how do you power them. Best not to use drive batteries for this. Separate 12v battery or voltage reducer on the main pack is best.

4. Do you need a flip seat? Lots of options. Consider the Elite Max 5. Has an optional storage solution (trunk) under the seat. Great for shopping in PtC. Also a fold up foot rest. A little pricey however.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car