lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default driven clutch question

I have a 97 ezgo waiting on a motor. So when it get here I want to get some other stuff ready. My question is how do I check my driven clutch to see if it's working properly. Also when I tried to take it of all I did was spin the wheels;
shaneomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: driven clutch question

I don't know how to check a cluthes operation without testing it out in a running cart. Some one else may have a procedure for that.
If your wheels are spinning your parking brake probably needs adjustment. To remove the bolt you could use an impact wrench. That would break it loose. If you dont have one, block the belt with peice of wood at the base of the pulley. As you turn the bolt stuff the wood where it will pevent the clutch from turning. loosen the bolt. After that the clutch needs to slide off the shaft, You may to tap it with a rubber mallet. If it doesn't tap off try WD 40 and then start pouding harder, until it slides off. The only thing that holds the clutch is the bolt and the splined shaft. Don't bang it up iwth metal hammers, plastis should be fine.
That might help, I hope
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh duh, if your motor is not in your cart that won't work. You need the belt around the drive clutch.... Tighten the parking brake and block the wheels as best you can. put a box end wrench on the bolt and hit it (wrench) with a hammer. That will usually break them loose. Good Luck!
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I think you should be able to remove the drivers side wheel and get an impact on the bolt. You should not have to hold on to the clutch very hard .....the impact will do the work.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks alot guys. that sounds like it shouldn't be to hard.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Hard to check them without taking them apart or watching them work and knowing what to expect. In good shape you can't move the sheaves with your hands usually. this doesn't tell you the condition of the ramps though
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ruredy my cart is a 97 and sat for quit a while it spins alright. should i wait till i install the motor?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

When I said move the sheaves I mean grabbing each side in a hand and push one while pulling the other. this would open the clutch up if your strong enough, most people can't do it on a good 4 stroke driven clutch. most 2 stroke ones you can move them some cause it has a weaker spring and is set up to run backwards also.
This is, by no means, a absolute way of testing, it's just something I have noticed over the years. I'll grab them, apply a certain amount of force, and if I can open the clutch I know something isn't right with it. it's kinda hard to explain just how much force but most people can't grip the sheaves hard enough to hold on to it and open it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thaks ruredy, i'm 225lbs and can curl 50lb dumbell for sets of 10 and i can't budge it. at least not while its in the cart. i thought i should be able to, so i thought it was stuck. i think i'll just wait till i get the motor in. have 16hp vangaurd on the way.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO