lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
gyoung4@ec.rr.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 Tomberlin Emerge Battery Issue (died on the way home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland View Post
I purchased an Emerge in October this year and have ~160 miles on it. I primarily use my vehicle to golf. Per round, I put about 13-14 miles on it (that includes the 6 miles round trip to and from my home). Never any issue with the battery (the battery meter is normally around 1/4 when I get home)

Yesterday, we had a shotgun start, and my starting hole happened to be the furthest point from the club house. So, add another 3 miles or so total.

Long story short, on the way home my Emerge died on me. Outdoor Temp was 40-50 degrees the entire time, I had 1 passenger with me.

Is there any way to check if any of my batteries are bad? Its not easy for me to get my Emerge to the dealer since he is about 50 miles from me.

FYI, I always leave my vehicle plugged in. In this case, I had not driven it in 7 days.

One other thing, on a full charge, after about 3 miles of driving, the battery meter always goes to half. Its been this way ever since I purchased the vehicle.
I ran across your post today. I was wondering if you still own your emerge. I own a 2007 Emerge 4 that has the same problems you were explaining. My battery meter goes to half after 2 or three miles, never consistant in mph or the distance I get on a full charge. I bought it new in May 2007 and have had quite a bit of trouble with it but Tomberlin is good aboute backing there product. Let me know if they fixed your problem. I still own mine and have put 3000 miles on it and the meter still shows half charge after a couple miles. Maybe i can pass on some info to my dealer. Don't get me wrong I still like my car and will eventually get the problem corrected.
Thanks
gyoung4@ec.rr.com
T
gyoung4@ec.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
portland
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung4@ec.rr.com View Post
I ran across your post today. I was wondering if you still own your emerge. I own a 2007 Emerge 4 that has the same problems you were explaining. My battery meter goes to half after 2 or three miles, never consistant in mph or the distance I get on a full charge. I bought it new in May 2007 and have had quite a bit of trouble with it but Tomberlin is good aboute backing there product. Let me know if they fixed your problem. I still own mine and have put 3000 miles on it and the meter still shows half charge after a couple miles. Maybe i can pass on some info to my dealer. Don't get me wrong I still like my car and will eventually get the problem corrected.
Thanks
gyoung4@ec.rr.com
T

My issue (dead cart) wound up being isolated to that one time.

My battery meter is screwy, but I had adjusted to it. For example, on a full charge I drive ~ 2.5 miles and I am down 1 or 2 bars on the charger. At the 5 mile mark, I am usually down to 1/2 on the meter. The next 8 or so miles will also stay at 1/2 on the meter

I charge every night and dont have any practical use to use my vehicle for more than 15 miles without having to charge, so for me, I am just dealing with it.
portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
sdbodin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland View Post
My battery meter is screwy, but I had adjusted to it. For example, on a full charge I drive ~ 2.5 miles and I am down 1 or 2 bars on the charger. At the 5 mile mark, I am usually down to 1/2 on the meter. The next 8 or so miles will also stay at 1/2 on the meter
Sounds the same as mine, a new 2010 E2 with 102 miles on it. Must be the nature of the meter.
sdbodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
dougmcp
Gone Wild

There's probably a cure for the meter problem. Is it one from Curtis or a supplier like that and does it look like this?

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
YellowSled
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Here is a perfectly good digital multimeter:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ord=multimeter
Thanks for the thought, I will pick one up asap!
YellowSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Backing up voa meters have a bat test section that as I understand have a small load to test dry cells. Does your meter have a dc area to check voltage? Just thinnen.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSled View Post
Thanks for the thought, I will pick one up asap!
When you are out about pick up a $6---8 battery filler bottle, a gallon of DISTILLED water, a $6 hydrometer and some nasty red spray battery post corrosion preventer. I do not have a sparkler but if I owned one I would cut some old towels into strips and soak in baking soda and let dry and lay on top of the batts. All the while the charger is on the batts vent acidic fumes that collect and eat at every thing. I would think about a tiny fan to blow through the batt compartment any time the cart was plugged in.

OKAY these are my ideas speak up yall.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
natvtxn27
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

My 08 charge meter does the same thing. I have about 700 miles on mine and it still drops to half after about 4-5 miles. I've gotten 20+ on a charge but never needed to drive more than that. Took it to the dealer for the 500 mle checkup and asked about the meter. It says alll tomberlins do that, and it's not an accurate indication of the charge left.
natvtxn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by natvtxn27 View Post
My 08 charge meter does the same thing. I have about 700 miles on mine and it still drops to half after about 4-5 miles. I've gotten 20+ on a charge but never needed to drive more than that. Took it to the dealer for the 500 mle checkup and asked about the meter. It says alll tomberlins do that, and it's not an accurate indication of the charge left.
Your dealer's full of crap and doesn't know what to do to reset the meter. It's a simple procedure, is it a Curtis meter?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
YellowSled
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
When you are out about pick up a $6---8 battery filler bottle, a gallon of DISTILLED water, a $6 hydrometer and some nasty red spray battery post corrosion preventer. I do not have a sparkler but if I owned one I would cut some old towels into strips and soak in baking soda and let dry and lay on top of the batts. All the while the charger is on the batts vent acidic fumes that collect and eat at every thing. I would think about a tiny fan to blow through the batt compartment any time the cart was plugged in.

OKAY these are my ideas speak up yall.

You rock, thanks for the ideas!
YellowSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin