lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

Default Problem with my '08 Tomberlin E4

I was hoping to get some ideas on what might be going on with my e4.
After I first bought it I started having problems. According to the dealer who fixed it the first time, it needed a fan on the controller. It was overheating. The problem was when I would drive it a few miles the accelerator would have no effect. After it cooled off it would go again. They put the fan on it and all seemed fine.
That was last summer.
I took it out for the first time in a while. It was hot outside 100 deg. I don't know if the temp made any difference versus driving before when it was cooler outside.
I pulled up to a stop sign after driving for a couple of miles. I smelled a burning smell, got out and investigated. Couldn't see anything obvious so I thought I better get it back and find out what is wrong. Got back in and pushed down on the accelerator and it started to go and made a loud noise and then the accelerator had no effect. It felt like the whole rear end was falling out. After l let it set a minute it moved but was still not acting right. When I had to let off of the accelerator and press it down again that is when it would act up.
Parked it. Went to take it to the dealer the next day and it seemed to work fine driving it on the trailer.
The dealer said he has not been able to get it to repeat the problem. I don't think he is driving it far enough to get it to act up. Where he is located on a 55 mph road. He probably just can't get on that road and drive it around far enough to duplicate the problem.
Anybody have any ideas what it could be? I am wondering if the controller or the motor might be burning up or damaged based on what is going on. It has about 120 miles on it, all from driving around my neighborhood.
moss9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem with my '08 Tomberlin E4

Controller damage is accumulative... have the dealer drive it 3 miles in the heat of the day and then start and stop a lot. Tell him you think the controller is reaching some type of thermal shut down? Ask if the controller has thermal protection. Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

scottyb thanks for the reply. As much as it seems like the controller has been thru you would think it might be damaged.
I picked the cart up yesterday and they replaced the speed sensor.
The repair place said that is what the factory rep suggested. I will have to wait a few days for the weather to change so the temps get back up to normal to test it.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

I had a chance to use it again since the repair and it is not fixed.
It actually seems to be getting worse. Now a new symptom when I let off the accelerator above 20 mph the rear wheels lock up momentarily.
It still does the other thing about the accelerator having no affect after driving it a few miles. After it sits for a minute or so till whatever is messed up cools off enough to function again it will operate again.
I used an ir thermometer when I got it back home . The motor was ay 280 degrees even after it had set for a while before I got the idea to use the thermometer to see if anything was at a high temp. Is that a normal operating temp for a motor?. Everything else was much cooler the highest temp on anything else I pointed the thermometer at was 140.
I think something in the motor is messed up. The dealer is convinced that is impossible.
I sure would like for this thing to be fixed so I can just go and enjoy driving it instead of having this problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

Well I took the Tomberlin back to the dealer. The tech guy at Tomberlin got on the phone. He decided I should drive it with the computer hooked up till there is an error code that comes up.
I took it behind the repair place and drove it around waiting for the error code to come up when it malfunctioned.
After about fifteen minutes still no error code. I am thinking oh great it will never send an error code.
I pull up to a stop sign and finally it messes up and the accelerator is not responding. No error code. Then there is smoke from the back. I get out and smoke is pouring out of the motor. I thought it was on fire it was so bad. Once I realized I could safely stick my hand in to flip the power from the motor I did that. The smoke subsided but boy did it stink.
Well no doubt about it the motor is toast. Of course no error code before the motor burnt up.
The dealer called Tomberlin. The best they could do is send a very "gently" used motor, no new ones in stock and no delivery date when they will get more. Nice.
I am wondering if the controller or any other parts might be affected by the motor going up in smoke?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin