lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
cusoak
Not Yet Wild

Default New to this forum

Hi my name is Jeff. I have a G1 2stroke yamaha golf cart. The engine has a problem with the connecting rod bearing .I have the motor torn apart to the point that the crankshaft needs to pressed apart to get the rod and bearing off. I do not own a press and it looks like maybe pressing it back to gether and getting everything lined up could be problem. I need some advice. If I have to take this to a dealer, I am sure it is going to cost a lot to have done.
If that is so I might just want to sell the whole cart.
Thanks For your help.
cusoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Default Re: New to this forum

welcome Jeff! Ive only been here for a few months but I guarantee someone will have an answer for you. Keep watching and ask lots of questions, these folks are great.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusoak View Post
hi my name is jeff. I have a g1 2stroke yamaha golf cart. The engine has a problem with the connecting rod bearing .i have the motor torn apart to the point that the crankshaft needs to pressed apart to get the rod and bearing off. I do not own a press and it looks like maybe pressing it back to gether and getting everything lined up could be problem. I need some advice. If i have to take this to a dealer, i am sure it is going to cost a lot to have done.
If that is so i might just want to sell the whole cart.
Thanks for your help.
hello, i just rebuilt my g1 to,i used my old crank and it worked fine, does yours have to much play in it? And is the bearing shot? If i was u post on wanted parts, someone will answer u, there not cheap new, i know they are pressed in, they are one tight fit, good luck.
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Typically people just replace the crank and rod and bearing as a unit. The crank will have to be taken to a machine shop to be pressed apart properly and also pressed back together properly. While doing this at home might be possible, it is not recommended. This crank is a balanced assembly and if the positioning of the crank is not exact when it is pressed back together you could have catastrophic damage.

I did the same rebuild a year ago and this was the information I was given. I checked with some reputable 2 stroke mechanics and they confirmed this. I'd definitely recommend replacing crank with a new unit.

Here's a link....

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-363...rankshaft.aspx
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome!!!
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Welcome!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Welcome fellow G1 owner.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
cusoak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responding.
Slonomo thanks for the link.
That is the cheapest I have seen the crank and rod.
Jeff.
cusoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I actually got mine for $179 but forgot where and couldn't find the website. I think it was Baker's Carts or something. Anyway, do some searching and even call the dealers because they might not have that part on their site. While the G1 is a classic cart and very popular still, the cranks aren't selling like hotcakes. These cranks usually last a very long time because of the roller bearings.

What makes you think you need a new rod bearing? Is there alot of top to bottom play? On mine there was no play top to bottom, but the bearings were rusted up from sitting. The whole engine was seized up. I just ended up replacing everything except the bottom end cases and the head. It cost me like $400 total. Well worth the money. It went together like butter.

There's a trick to getting it all back together though. You have to put the crank and crank bearings in the freezer overnight. The next day put the cases in the outdoor grille on a tray for like 10 min until hot, then install the cold bearings into the case. Put the cases back into the grill for 10 min, then install the cold crank and slide the cases together with some sealant. Good to go. Took me all of 45 minutes to assemble the bottom end and another 2 hours to assemble and install the rest. Very easy.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Found it, it's more $ now though and I'm not sure if they are a sponsor...

http://www.bakerscartsupply.com/cran...assembly2.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha